Farnborough International Airshow 2020 canceled
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Farnborough International Airshow has become the latest industry victim of coronavirus, taking what would have been the year’s largest trade event in aviation off the calendar.
The event, which was scheduled to take place July 20-24, has been canceled, Farnborough International announced Friday.
“After very careful consideration, the unprecedented impact of the global Coronavirus pandemic has forced this decision in the interests of the health and safety of our exhibitors, visitors, contractors and staff,” the group’s organizers said in a statement. “We at Farnborough International share your disappointment that we are unable to present the Airshow as planned, but rest assured, we are determined to continue to work together and will ensure the Farnborough International Airshow returns in 2022 better than ever.”
Related: How airplanes get to Farnborough, the biggest aviation show.
Farnborough is one of the world’s largest aviation shows. It takes place every other year, alternating with the Paris Air Show, and has been the launchpad for major developments in commercial aviation.
The Airbus A380 performed a flyover of the show in 2006, and when TPG visited Farnborough in 2016, some of the best-known aircraft today were securing their place in various airlines’ fleet lineups.
That’s because in addition to presenting an opportunity for manufacturers to showcase their products, the air shows are an important part of aviation industry dealmaking.
Related: A quiet Airbus – Boeing battle at Farnborough 2018.
Major aircraft orders are often announced on the sidelines of Farnborough. For example, at the 2018 Airshow, Airbus secured more than 400 new aircraft orders, according to Routes Online. Farnborough organizers estimated the worth of those orders at more than $192 billion, adding the the 2018 show included more than 1,500 exhibitors and welcomed about 80,000 visitors from 112 different countries.
Featured photo by Mary Turner/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees