This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of June 1, the country CNN called “Africa’s next big tourist draw” will accept online visa applications from travelers of any nationality, according to a statement from the office of the Prime Minister.
For the time being, only single-entry visas are available online, and cost $52 for a 30-day single entry visa or $72 for a 90-day single entry visa. Applicants must have a passport valid for six months or longer from the date of Ethiopia entry, and travelers holding an e-visa will only be able to enter the country via Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
“This will make travel super easy,” Ethiopian Airlines stated via Twitter. Ethiopia’s national carrier has steadily increased its international presence in recent years, including expansion to the US via new routes between Chicago and Addis Ababa to begin tomorrow, June 2, and connecting Newark (EWR) to the Ivory Coast via a new nonstop Dreamliner route.
Previously, e-visas were only available for applicants from 37 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany, although most travelers could apply for visas upon arrival at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
The Ethiopian Embassy’s website has not yet been updated with e-visa information as of the time of this post, but the official e-visa application page of the Ethiopian government is up and running, with an important notice at the bottom of the page cautioning travelers to avoid fraudulent visa websites:
Travelers are still advised to check the US Department of State website before travel: The March 6, 2018, advisory regarding Ebola screening at the Addis Ababa airport is still in effect as of today. And on May 25, the State Department issued a scam alert, advising that there are no fees to access the American embassy in Ethiopia, or any of its associated spaces.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees