Ethiopia Opens Up e-Visas To Travelers of Any Nationality
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As of June 1, the country CNN called “Africa’s next big tourist draw” will accept online visa applications from travelers of any nationality, according to a statement from the office of the Prime Minister.
For the time being, only single-entry visas are available online, and cost $52 for a 30-day single entry visa or $72 for a 90-day single entry visa. Applicants must have a passport valid for six months or longer from the date of Ethiopia entry, and travelers holding an e-visa will only be able to enter the country via Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
“This will make travel super easy,” Ethiopian Airlines stated via Twitter. Ethiopia’s national carrier has steadily increased its international presence in recent years, including expansion to the US via new routes between Chicago and Addis Ababa to begin tomorrow, June 2, and connecting Newark (EWR) to the Ivory Coast via a new nonstop Dreamliner route.
Previously, e-visas were only available for applicants from 37 countries including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany, although most travelers could apply for visas upon arrival at Addis Ababa International Airport (ADD).
The Ethiopian Embassy’s website has not yet been updated with e-visa information as of the time of this post, but the official e-visa application page of the Ethiopian government is up and running, with an important notice at the bottom of the page cautioning travelers to avoid fraudulent visa websites:
Travelers are still advised to check the US Department of State website before travel: The March 6, 2018, advisory regarding Ebola screening at the Addis Ababa airport is still in effect as of today. And on May 25, the State Department issued a scam alert, advising that there are no fees to access the American embassy in Ethiopia, or any of its associated spaces.
Featured image courtesy of Shutterstock.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.