Emirates to Temporarily Cancel Newark-Dubai Nonstop, Reduce Frequencies on Other US Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Emirates Airline announced that it’ll suspend its nonstop Dubai (DXB) to Newark (EWR) route between April 16 and May 30, 2019, in anticipation of Dubai International Airport’s scheduled runway closure, Routes Online reported. Flight EK223 (DXB-EWR) and EK224 (EWR-DXB) are unavailable for booking on the Emirates website during the closure period. The daily fifth-freedom route departing Dubai, which stops in Athens (ATH) on the way to Newark remains available.
Other US routes that will be affected during the same time period include:
- Dubai (DXB) – Boston (BOS) — Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – Chicago O’Hare (ORD) — Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) — Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) — Reduce from 5 to 3 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – New York JFK (JFK) — Reduce from 14 to 12 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – Orlando (MCO) — Reduce from 5 to 4 weekly
- Dubai (DXB) – Washington Dulles (IAD) — Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
The runway closure was announced in February 2018, and will allow DXB to resurface and replace ground lighting and implement some other infrastructure updates, according to the airport. The temporary closure will significantly impact the airport’s capacity and require airlines to restrict operations during those 45 days. Airlines will be able to reroute air traffic to Dubai’s second airport, Dubai World Central (DWC), located about 37 miles south of DXB.
Although DWC currently operates on a far smaller scale than DXB, with just less than a million travelers in 2017, the smaller airport is currently undergoing its own renovations in order to increase its capacity from between 5 million and 7 million passengers up to 26 million passengers per year. In comparison, DXB anticipates a 2.4% passenger increase in 2018, up to 90.3 million annual travelers.
The 2019 runway closure isn’t the first for DXB. In 2014, DXB shut down its northern runway for 80 days of needed upgrades and renovations. At that time, the closure cost the Emirates Group around $467 million in lost revenue, according to the airline.
H/T: Routes Online
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees