Elon Musk Just Test-Fired a Rocket Engine to Bring People to Mars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Humankind might have just gotten one step closer to visiting Mars.
SpaceX, Elon Musk’s aerospace manufacturer and space tourism venture, just test-fired the flight version of its new Raptor rocket engine for the first time.
“First firing of Starship Raptor flight engine!” Musk said in his Tweet. “So proud of great work by @SpaceX team!!” The new raptor rocket engine will join SpaceX’s growing fleet, which includes Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Dragon series of spacecraft.
Musk also tweeted out videos of the test, which shows the engine that will power Starship — a stainless-steel space vehicle built that can carry up to 100 passengers — in action. The test lasted for about three seconds and took place at the SpaceX development facility in McGregor, Texas on Sunday.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) February 4, 2019
Aviation Week said the test fire was “a key step toward the start of flight tests of a multipurpose, interplanetary-class space transportation system.” SpaceX plans to start low-altitude flight tests of a Starship prototype later this year at its site in Boca Chica, Texas.
Starship will launch off the giant rocket, Super Heavy via Raptor power. SpaceX expects the duo will be able to take people and cargo to Mars, the moon and beyond. Starship will use seven of the methane-burning engines, and Super Heavy will use 31 Raptors to break the 62-mile barrier into space. Each Raptor engine provides 200 metric tons of force.
So, for those of you who want to get far, far away for your next vacation — the wait to go to space seems to be shortening. As of now, SpaceX is aiming to fly passengers around the moon by 2023 and have flights to Mars by the mid-2020s. So far Japanese billionaire, Yusaku Maezawa, has already been announced as one of these lucky passengers planned to take the revolutionary trip.
Featured image by Robyn Beck-Pool/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees