El Al Is Moving Women Passengers to Accommodate Men… Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The national flag carrier for Israel, El Al, is in hot water again for moving women passengers on a flight to accommodate ultra-Orthodox Jewish men.
El Al flouted a 2017 court ruling that, on the grounds of discrimination against women, bans the practice of moving female passengers for the Jewish men who refuse to sit next to them because of their beliefs.
A witness, Khen Rotem, posted on Facebook that El Al flight 2 departing New York (JFK) for Tel Aviv (TLV) last week was delayed for more than an hour after four ultra-Orthodox men refused to take their seats because they were next to women. Rotem wrote that the men would only speak to male flight attendants, who reportedly were trying to persuade them to take their seats but in the end, asked two women passengers to move to accommodate the men.
One of the male passengers in question was so strict in his beliefs that he kept his eyes closed during boarding and during the flight so as not to look at a woman, according to Rotem.
Now, one of the largest tech firms in Israel, NICE Systems, is boycotting El Al after the discriminatory move. NICE Systems CEO Barak Eilam wrote on LinkedIn that his 4,900 employees would not fly with the carrier until it fixed its “practice and actions discriminating [against] women.”
“At NICE we don’t do business with companies that discriminate against race, gender or religion,” Eilam’s post continued.
El Al on Monday took a firmer stance on the issue. The airline’s CEO Gonen Usishkin said in a statement that “any traveler who refuses to sit next to another traveler will be immediately removed from the flight.”
The Jerusalem Magistrates Court ruled almost exactly one year ago that El Al had to set up a different procedure in such instances that did not include moving women passengers after a woman in a similar situation on a 2015 flight sued the carrier.
H/T: NBC News
Featured image by JACK GUEZ/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees