This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all love a good comeback story.
A species of giant tortoise that was previously thought to be extinct made a surprise appearance on the Galapagos island of Fernandina on Sunday. The century-old Fernandina Giant Tortoise was spotted during an expedition by the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative (GTRI).
The Fernandina Giant Tortoise is just one of 14 giant tortoise species that can be found on the Galapagos Islands. However, a majority of these are considered endangered after centuries of being over-hunted for food and oil. While the last time this tortoise species was seen alive was in 1906, experts on site believe that our old girl isn’t alone on the island. A spattering of evidence of other Fernandina Giant Tortoises (tracks, scents, feces and bite marks) have been seen around the island for years — including an unconfirmed sighting in 2009.
Genetic studies will be carried out on the tortoise to confirm that she belongs to the Fernandina Island species, Washington Tapia, GTRI director and expedition leader, said to CNN. For now, conservationists have relocated her to a breeding center on Santa Cruz.
Featured photo by RODRIGO BUENDIA/AFP/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees