Eco-Tourists’ Delight: Galapagos Tortoise Found Alive for First Time in 100 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all love a good comeback story.
A species of giant tortoise that was previously thought to be extinct made a surprise appearance on the Galapagos island of Fernandina on Sunday. The century-old Fernandina Giant Tortoise was spotted during an expedition by the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative (GTRI).
The Fernandina Giant Tortoise is just one of 14 giant tortoise species that can be found on the Galapagos Islands. However, a majority of these are considered endangered after centuries of being over-hunted for food and oil. While the last time this tortoise species was seen alive was in 1906, experts on site believe that our old girl isn’t alone on the island. A spattering of evidence of other Fernandina Giant Tortoises (tracks, scents, feces and bite marks) have been seen around the island for years — including an unconfirmed sighting in 2009.
Genetic studies will be carried out on the tortoise to confirm that she belongs to the Fernandina Island species, Washington Tapia, GTRI director and expedition leader, said to CNN. For now, conservationists have relocated her to a breeding center on Santa Cruz.
Featured photo by RODRIGO BUENDIA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees