Eco-Tourists’ Delight: Galapagos Tortoise Found Alive for First Time in 100 Years
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We all love a good comeback story.
A species of giant tortoise that was previously thought to be extinct made a surprise appearance on the Galapagos island of Fernandina on Sunday. The century-old Fernandina Giant Tortoise was spotted during an expedition by the Giant Tortoise Restoration Initiative (GTRI).
The Fernandina Giant Tortoise is just one of 14 giant tortoise species that can be found on the Galapagos Islands. However, a majority of these are considered endangered after centuries of being over-hunted for food and oil. While the last time this tortoise species was seen alive was in 1906, experts on site believe that our old girl isn’t alone on the island. A spattering of evidence of other Fernandina Giant Tortoises (tracks, scents, feces and bite marks) have been seen around the island for years — including an unconfirmed sighting in 2009.
Genetic studies will be carried out on the tortoise to confirm that she belongs to the Fernandina Island species, Washington Tapia, GTRI director and expedition leader, said to CNN. For now, conservationists have relocated her to a breeding center on Santa Cruz.
Featured photo by RODRIGO BUENDIA/AFP/Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.