This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the fundamentals of the points and miles hobby is to always shop online through a shopping portal. Starting today, shopping through the Ebates portal just got a lot more lucrative. Instead of redeeming for cashback, members can now cash out Ebates earnings for American Express Membership Rewards points.
Based on current TPG’s valuations, that doubles the return on shopping through Ebates. Rather than getting 1 cent cashback, you’d be earning points valued at 2.0 cents per point. If you know how to maximize Membership Rewards points, you can get a lot more value than that.
The catch? This Membership Rewards earning option is currently only open to brand new Ebates members that sign-up through this landing page. As an added bonus, you’ll get a 1,500 Membership Rewards points bonus for making “qualifying purchases totaling $25 or more within 90 days of becoming a new member.” That’s a bonus that TPG values at $30 — which is more than the $25 purchase requirement.
That’s a lot better of a bonus than the typical offer — particularly for those of us that utilize points and miles:
If you enter an email address already enrolled, you’ll get an error saying:
Welcome Back! Thank you for being an Ebates member. Only new members can choose to receive Membership Rewards points at this time.
However, if you accidentally enter a secondary email address instead and then sign into your American Express account…
Hopefully for those that already have a large balance accumulated in their Ebates account, this Membership Rewards point transfer option will become available to current users. Thankfully, Katie and I had just cleared out our primary account, scoring a $99.80 “Big Fat Check”:
Before you start earning points through Ebates, it’s important to know some of the terms:
- The minimum number of points that will be transferred is 500 Membership Rewards points
- Points transferred from the Ebates account will become available in the Membership Rewards program account within 8 to 12 weeks after receipt by American Express of the points information from Ebates
- Points will not be made available by American Express if any Eligible Card Account is canceled or past due at the time of point fulfillment.
H/T: Doctor of Credit
Featured image by Hero Images via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards