This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California has been ravaged by wildfires this summer. In fact, three of the state’s worst fires ever are currently still ablaze after already having collectively scorched 820,000 acres so far.
“The trends are pretty astounding in terms of the number of acres burned, the length of the wildfire season, the numbers of structures lost,” Kelly Pohl, a research analyst with Headwaters Economics, a nonprofit research group that helps communities develop wildfire plans told the New York Times. “If you look at the trends over several decades, they’ve all gone up.”
The fires are burning so intensely that their smoke is traveling a whopping 3,000 miles to New York City.
Luckily, there is something TPG readers can do to help the millions of people affected by the devastating blazes. (And earn some miles, while you’re at it.)
United Airlines is matching donations to wildfire relief efforts of up to $50,000 in total donations when customers donate to one of its five charitable partners.
And United MilePlus members who donate at least $50 to one of the relief organizations above will receive up to 1,000 bonus miles. Visit United’s site on the promotion to read up on the terms and conditions.
It’s truly a win-win situation: Help provide vital aid to those affected by the fires and get a few extra miles for your charitable efforts.
Featured image by Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that