Win-Win: Earn United Miles for Donating to Wildfire Relief in California
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California has been ravaged by wildfires this summer. In fact, three of the state’s worst fires ever are currently still ablaze after already having collectively scorched 820,000 acres so far.
“The trends are pretty astounding in terms of the number of acres burned, the length of the wildfire season, the numbers of structures lost,” Kelly Pohl, a research analyst with Headwaters Economics, a nonprofit research group that helps communities develop wildfire plans told the New York Times. “If you look at the trends over several decades, they’ve all gone up.”
The fires are burning so intensely that their smoke is traveling a whopping 3,000 miles to New York City.
Luckily, there is something TPG readers can do to help the millions of people affected by the devastating blazes. (And earn some miles, while you’re at it.)
United Airlines is matching donations to wildfire relief efforts of up to $50,000 in total donations when customers donate to one of its five charitable partners.
And United MilePlus members who donate at least $50 to one of the relief organizations above will receive up to 1,000 bonus miles. Visit United’s site on the promotion to read up on the terms and conditions.
It’s truly a win-win situation: Help provide vital aid to those affected by the fires and get a few extra miles for your charitable efforts.
Featured image by Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.