This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California has been ravaged by wildfires this summer. In fact, three of the state’s worst fires ever are currently still ablaze after already having collectively scorched 820,000 acres so far.
“The trends are pretty astounding in terms of the number of acres burned, the length of the wildfire season, the numbers of structures lost,” Kelly Pohl, a research analyst with Headwaters Economics, a nonprofit research group that helps communities develop wildfire plans told the New York Times. “If you look at the trends over several decades, they’ve all gone up.”
The fires are burning so intensely that their smoke is traveling a whopping 3,000 miles to New York City.
Luckily, there is something TPG readers can do to help the millions of people affected by the devastating blazes. (And earn some miles, while you’re at it.)
United Airlines is matching donations to wildfire relief efforts of up to $50,000 in total donations when customers donate to one of its five charitable partners.
And United MilePlus members who donate at least $50 to one of the relief organizations above will receive up to 1,000 bonus miles. Visit United’s site on the promotion to read up on the terms and conditions.
It’s truly a win-win situation: Help provide vital aid to those affected by the fires and get a few extra miles for your charitable efforts.
Featured image by Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees