This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
California has been ravaged by wildfires this summer. In fact, three of the state’s worst fires ever are currently still ablaze after already having collectively scorched 820,000 acres so far.
“The trends are pretty astounding in terms of the number of acres burned, the length of the wildfire season, the numbers of structures lost,” Kelly Pohl, a research analyst with Headwaters Economics, a nonprofit research group that helps communities develop wildfire plans told the New York Times. “If you look at the trends over several decades, they’ve all gone up.”
The fires are burning so intensely that their smoke is traveling a whopping 3,000 miles to New York City.
Luckily, there is something TPG readers can do to help the millions of people affected by the devastating blazes. (And earn some miles, while you’re at it.)
United Airlines is matching donations to wildfire relief efforts of up to $50,000 in total donations when customers donate to one of its five charitable partners.
And United MilePlus members who donate at least $50 to one of the relief organizations above will receive up to 1,000 bonus miles. Visit United’s site on the promotion to read up on the terms and conditions.
It’s truly a win-win situation: Help provide vital aid to those affected by the fires and get a few extra miles for your charitable efforts.
Featured image by Marcus Yam / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees