This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express has announced a new transfer bonus, which will allow cardholders to get 20% more Qantas Points through the end of June.
Last week, TPG’s JT Genter reported that American Express added the Australian carrier to its list of airline and hotel transfer partners. Your Qantas Points will allow you to fly Qantas and other Oneworld partners like American Airlines and British Airways to over 1,200 destinations around the world.
According to American Express, you’ll get 600 Qantas points for every 500 Membership Rewards you transfer to the airline. For instance, transferring 1,000 MR points will net you 1,200 Qantas Points. In order to take advantage of the bonus, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 500 MR points.
Dan’s Deals first reported the news and noted a sweet spot in Qantas’ partner award chart, cardholders can transfer points 65,000 MR points into 70,000 Qantas Points for a one-way business class ticket from New York to Tel Aviv on El Al’s 787 Dreamliner.
Qantas is a member of the OneWorld alliance, so even if you don’t have plans to travel to Australia any time soon, you can still use your points to book award travel on partners such as Japan Airlines, American Airlines and Qatar Airways. Some other solid redemptions include short-haul American Airlines flights or an around-the-world award ticket.
In order to take advantage of the bonus, you’ll need to be enrolled in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, link your Qantas account to your American Express account and transfer your MR points to Qantas by June 30. American Express is also running a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic through July 1.
How to Earn Membership Rewards Points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, a sign-up bonus from one of the following cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $5,000 in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked on .
- American Express® Gold Card: 35,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $2,000 in the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 4x points on dining and at US supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points: 50k after spending $10,000 and another 25k after spending an additional $10,000 all in the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Ebates shopping portal.
Featured photo by Peter Parks / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards