Targeted: Earn a 20% bonus when you transfer Amex points to Qantas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is back with a 20% bonus for Qantas transfers, a targeted offer without an official end date. In the past, targeted Amex transfer bonuses (without an end date) have been known to disappear from your Amex account after a single transfer. So if you’re eligible, it might only be a one-time deal and even if it’s not, it could end at anytime.
Qantas is a member of the Oneworld alliance, so even if you don’t have plans to travel to Australia anytime soon, you can still use your points to book award travel on partners such as Japan Airlines, American Airlines and Qatar Airways. Some other solid redemptions include short-haul American Airlines flights or an around-the-world award ticket. Qantas also partners with airlines outside of the Oneworld alliance, like Alaska Airlines (although Alaska is joining Oneworld by 2021), El Al and Emirates.
With this bonus you’ll get 600 Qantas points for every 500 Membership Rewards® you transfer to the airline. For instance, transferring 1,000 MR points will net you 1,200 Qantas Points. In order to take advantage of the bonus, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 500 MR points.
You’ll also need to be enrolled in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, link your Qantas account to your American Express account and transfer your MR points to Qantas. Here’s a list of all current transfer bonuses happening now.
How to earn Membership Rewards points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, an intro bonus from one of the following Amex cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- American Express® Gold Card: 60,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $4,000 on purchases in the first six months of card membership. Plus earn 4x points at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 125,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
- American Express® Green Card: 30,000 Membership Rewards® points welcome bonus after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first three months. Earn 3x Membership Rewards points worldwide on eligible travel, restaurants and transit, including flights, hotels, home shares, campsites, tours, car rentals, ride shares, buses, subways, third-party travel websites and .
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Rakuten shopping portal.
Additional reporting by Liz Hund and Jason Stauffer.
Featured photo by Peter Parks / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.