Targeted: Earn a 20% bonus when you transfer Amex points to Qantas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is back with a 20% bonus for Qantas transfers, a targeted offer without an official end date. In the past, targeted Amex transfer bonuses (without an end date) have been known to disappear from your Amex account after a single transfer. So if you’re eligible, it might only be a one-time deal and even if it’s not, it could end at anytime.
Qantas is a member of the Oneworld alliance, so even if you don’t have plans to travel to Australia anytime soon, you can still use your points to book award travel on partners such as Japan Airlines, American Airlines and Qatar Airways. Some other solid redemptions include short-haul American Airlines flights or an around-the-world award ticket. Qantas also partners with airlines outside of the Oneworld alliance, like Alaska Airlines (although Alaska is joining Oneworld by 2021), El Al and Emirates.
With this bonus you’ll get 600 Qantas points for every 500 Membership Rewards® you transfer to the airline. For instance, transferring 1,000 MR points will net you 1,200 Qantas Points. In order to take advantage of the bonus, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 500 MR points.
You’ll also need to be enrolled in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, link your Qantas account to your American Express account and transfer your MR points to Qantas. Here’s a list of all current transfer bonuses happening now.
How to earn Membership Rewards points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, an intro bonus from one of the following Amex cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- American Express® Gold Card: 60,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $4,000 on purchases in the first six months of card membership. Plus earn 4x points at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 125,000 bonus points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
- American Express® Green Card: 30,000 Membership Rewards® points welcome bonus after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first three months. Earn 3x Membership Rewards points worldwide on eligible travel, restaurants and transit, including flights, hotels, home shares, campsites, tours, car rentals, ride shares, buses, subways, third-party travel websites and .
The information for the Amex Green Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Rakuten shopping portal.
Additional reporting by Liz Hund and Jason Stauffer.
Featured photo by Peter Parks / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees