Targeted: Earn a 20% bonus when you transfer Amex points to Qantas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express is back with a 20% bonus for Qantas transfers, a targeted offer without an official end date. In the past, targeted Amex transfer bonuses (without an end date) have been known to disappear from your Amex account after a single transfer. So if you’re eligible, it might only be a one-time deal and even if it’s not, it could end at anytime.
Qantas is a member of the Oneworld alliance, so even if you don’t have plans to travel to Australia anytime soon, you can still use your points to book award travel on partners such as Japan Airlines, American Airlines and Qatar Airways. Some other solid redemptions include short-haul American Airlines flights or an around-the-world award ticket. Qantas also partners with airlines outside of the Oneworld alliance, like Alaska Airlines (although Alaska is joining Oneworld by 2021), El Al and Emirates.
With this bonus you’ll get 600 Qantas points for every 500 Membership Rewards® you transfer to the airline. For instance, transferring 1,000 MR points will net you 1,200 Qantas Points. In order to take advantage of the bonus, you’ll need to transfer a minimum of 500 MR points.
You’ll also need to be enrolled in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, link your Qantas account to your American Express account and transfer your MR points to Qantas. Here’s a list of all current transfer bonuses happening now.
How to earn Membership Rewards points
If you currently don’t have any Membership Rewards points, an intro bonus from one of the following Amex cards can help boost your balance, although you’ll likely not see it in your account before the transfer bonus ends. However, you can use it for the next time a transfer bonus comes around.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 60,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn 5x points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel and prepaid hotels booked on .
- American Express® Gold Card: 35,000 Membership Rewards points welcome bonus for spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership. Plus earn 4x points on dining and at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases; then 1x) and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or on .
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 75,000 bonus points after spending $15,000 on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels on
- American Express® Green Card: 30,000 Membership Rewards® points welcome bonus after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first three months. Earn 3x Membership Rewards points worldwide on eligible travel, restaurants and transit, including flights, hotels, home shares, campsites, tours, car rentals, ride shares, buses, subways, third-party travel websites and .
You can also earn Amex MR points through the Rakuten shopping portal.
Additional reporting by Liz Hund and Jason Stauffer.
Featured photo by Peter Parks / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees