Drunk Tourist Climbs the Alps Instead of Walking to Hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ain’t no mountain high enough to keep this drunk tourist away.
That’s what an Estonian tourist, known as Pavel, found out when he mistakenly hiked up the side of the Alps instead of back to his hotel. Pavel reportedly thought he was walking the path back to his hotel in Cervinia — a resort in Italy’s Valle d’Aosta — when he took a wrong turn on the snow-covered street and instead of reaching his hotel lobby, he ended up climbing a ski run up the side of the mountain.
Italian newspaper La Stampa reported that the tourist most likely didn’t realize he was heading up the mountain, even as the path took a steep turn upward. The tourist was wearing shoes, not skis, making the steep slope even harder to traverse. He continued up an even more steep run called the Ventina.
At some point between 2:00 and 3:00am, Pavel reached a chalet on the mountain, which included Igloo, a mountaintop bar and restaurant. The restaurant is located above Cervinia at an altitude of 2,400 meters (7,900 feet). The tourist broke into the restaurant — with only his personal effects and hotel key card — and sought shelter in the bar overnight. He was discovered by Igloo staff the next morning surrounded by two empty bottles of water — necessary hydration for his likely impending hangover and unexpected exertion.
Reports state that a search party of a fire brigade, police and drones had already been underway for the Estonian tourist when he was discovered. Local police said that Pavel will be fined for his surprise night of camping, but he will not be charged with a crime.
Pavel has yet to comment on the situation, which easily could have turned dire. Last week, three skiers were killed in the Swiss Alps after an avalanche hit their group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees