Drunk Tourist Climbs the Alps Instead of Walking to Hotel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ain’t no mountain high enough to keep this drunk tourist away.
That’s what an Estonian tourist, known as Pavel, found out when he mistakenly hiked up the side of the Alps instead of back to his hotel. Pavel reportedly thought he was walking the path back to his hotel in Cervinia — a resort in Italy’s Valle d’Aosta — when he took a wrong turn on the snow-covered street and instead of reaching his hotel lobby, he ended up climbing a ski run up the side of the mountain.
Italian newspaper La Stampa reported that the tourist most likely didn’t realize he was heading up the mountain, even as the path took a steep turn upward. The tourist was wearing shoes, not skis, making the steep slope even harder to traverse. He continued up an even more steep run called the Ventina.
At some point between 2:00 and 3:00am, Pavel reached a chalet on the mountain, which included Igloo, a mountaintop bar and restaurant. The restaurant is located above Cervinia at an altitude of 2,400 meters (7,900 feet). The tourist broke into the restaurant — with only his personal effects and hotel key card — and sought shelter in the bar overnight. He was discovered by Igloo staff the next morning surrounded by two empty bottles of water — necessary hydration for his likely impending hangover and unexpected exertion.
Reports state that a search party of a fire brigade, police and drones had already been underway for the Estonian tourist when he was discovered. Local police said that Pavel will be fined for his surprise night of camping, but he will not be charged with a crime.
Pavel has yet to comment on the situation, which easily could have turned dire. Last week, three skiers were killed in the Swiss Alps after an avalanche hit their group.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.