DJI launches Mavic Air 2, most travel-friendly drone to date
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Like many travelers, I’ve long been a fan of DJI’s lineup of drones, making it possible to capture incredible aerial photos and videos at a fraction of the price of a helicopter charter.
My long-time go-to has been the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom, thanks to its 2x zoom lens. But, thanks to its smaller size, longer battery life, improved safety features and lower price point, the brand-new Mavic Air 2 is the better pick for newbies, and even some advanced users, too.
While I’m eager to try out the Mavic Air 2 on my next trip, I did have a chance to test it out in the backyard during my at-home quarantine in Pennsylvania. It’s more compact than the Mavic 2 Zoom I’m used to, and, thanks to a handful of new features, it’s even easier to fly.
Perhaps most exciting to aviation geeks is the addition of AirSense, which uses an ADS-B sensor to identify nearby airplanes and helicopters, which appear on the main control screen. Due to current supply chain limitations, ADS-B support will only be available on drones sold in North America at first, though DJI plans to ship compatible drones globally as soon as it’s able.
The Mavic Air 2 also includes Advanced Pilot Assistance System (APAS) 3.0, which uses 3D mapping to adjust the drone’s path and avoid collisions during autonomous flying. There are also additional sensors and auxiliary lights on the bottom of the drone, to aid automated landing in poor lighting conditions.
Some of the Mavic Air 2’s other notable features include:
- 570-gram total weight (1.26 pounds)
- Battery flight time of up to 34 minutes
- OcuSync 2.0 for up to 10km transmission
The drone has some major photography chops as well, including:
- 1/2-inch sensor (vs. 1/2.3-inch on the Mavic Air)
- 12-megapixel photo capture
- 48-megapixel high-resolution mode
- 3-axis image stabilization
- HDR capture (7-image merge)
- Hyperlight for low-light captures
- 8K Hyperlapse video
- Auto scene recognition to help make details pop
- 4K video capture at 60fps and 120 Mbps
- 1080p slow-motion capture (120fps and 240fps)
- HDR video support
Mavic Air 2 is available to pick up in China today, and available to pre-order in other countries, including the United States, with an estimated ship date of mid-May. A standard package with the remote controller, one battery and necessary cables costs $799, while a Fly More version which adds two more batteries, a charging hub, ND filters and a shoulder bag is available for $988.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees