DHS Suspends All Air Service Between the US and Venezuela
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Until March, American Airlines had been operating twice-daily service between Miami (MIA) and Caracas, Venezuela (CCS). Those flights had been suspended indefinitely, and the US State Department had increased its threat level to the highest level, strongly advising Americans to avoid visiting the nation.
Now, due to ongoing civil unrest, the Department of Homeland Security has taken the extraordinary step to ban all commercial and cargo flights between the United States and Venezuela. According to a press release: “Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Kevin K. McAleenan determined that conditions in Venezuela threaten the safety and security of passengers, aircraft, and crew, requiring an immediate suspension of all commercial passenger and cargo flights between the United States and Venezuela. In accordance with the statute, the Secretary of State has approved flight suspension, and the Secretary of Transportation has implemented the determination.”
Currently, it remains possible to book a connecting itinerary to Venezuela, as international carriers — including Panama’s Copa Airlines — are still operating flights. Some European carriers are flying to the country as well, including TAP Air Portugal, with twice-weekly service on a Boeing 767 (update: operated by EuroAtlantic Airways).
While it’s unclear how long this ban will remain in place, the State Department will “continue to monitor the situation,” explaining that “If and when the conditions in Venezuela change, and if in the public interest, the Secretaries will revisit this determination. Until then, the flight suspension will remain in effect indefinitely.”
Featured photo by RONALDO SCHEMIDT/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees