Delta’s Brazilian Partner GOL Picks Up a Lot of New 737s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Brazilian low-cost carrier GOL announced at the Farnborough air show on Monday that it ordered 30 737 MAX 10 and 15 737 MAX 8, which will make it the largest operator of the 737 MAX in Latin America. Delta Airlines owns 9% of the carrier; flyers can actually earn and redeem SkyMiles with GOL.
The ambitious airline is reportedly launching the world’s longest 737 service between Florida and Brazil, with the Orlando to Brasilia nonstop coming in at 3,778 miles. The MAX 10 can squeeze in 230 passengers in a single-class configuration over those long ranges, a reason low-cost carriers such as Ryanair frequently refer to the MAX aircraft as a “game changer”. The aircraft will have the lowest cost per seat mile in single-aisle jet market, Boeing says. You can expect to fly on one of those new 737s on the new GOL services from Florida, which begin in November.
The order will convert 30 737 MAX 8 aircraft already on order to MAX 10 aircraft, which values that portion of the deal at $384M on top of the $1.756B purchase of MAX 8 (each at list prices, factoring the conversion). With the purchase of GOL will have a total 135 MAX jets on order, with a view to flying a younger fleet.
“This new order aligns with our strategic policy of reducing operating costs by operating a standardized fleet. We are confident that the 737 MAX 10 will offer significant competitive advantages for GOL and enable us to continue to modernize with new aircraft. This airplane will allow us to continue lowering the cost of air travel across Brazil, as well as support a larger network, allowing us to add new destinations,” said Paulo Kakinoff, Chief Executive Officer of GOL, in a release.
GOL took delivery of its first 737 MAX airplane last month. The orders will continue to be delivered through until 2028.
Featured image of a Boeing 737 MAX 7 at the Farnborough Airshow on July 16, 2018 by BEN STANSALL/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees