New Yorkers: Book round-trip award tickets for as few as 5,000 SkyMiles with this flash sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines is offering round-trip flights for as little as 5,000 Delta SkyMiles right now, but you should book soon as this sale is ending this Friday at 11:59 p.m. EST.
The promotional flights are valid from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) or LaGuardia Airport (LGA) to a variety of destinations within North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airline: Delta Air Lines
Routes: New York City to Nashville, Portland, Dallas, Kansas City, Missouri, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach, St. Louis, Denver, Omaha, Bogota, Colombia, Panama City, Panama, St. Maarten Nassau, Montego Bay, San Salvador, Sao Paulo, Reykjavik, Dublin, London, Edinburgh, Milan, Frankfurt, Athens, Rome and Brussels.
How to book: Directly through the airline here
Travel dates: Officially April 24-May 26, 2022 (but there are flights through late June available)
Book by: Friday, March 18 at 11:59 p.m. EST
Discounted round-trip flights are available from New York to 26 cities, with some of the most notable routes being:
- Caribbean: Montego Bay and Nassau starting at 8,000 SkyMiles round trip.
- Central America: Bogota starting at 10,000 SkyMiles round trip.
- Domestic: Miami, Dallas, Portland, Nashville and West Palm Beach starting at 5,000 SkyMiles round trip.
- Europe: Reykjavik, Dublin, London, Edinburgh, Milan, Frankfurt, Rome and starting at 34,000 SkyMiles round trip.
- South America: Sao Paulo starting at 34,000 SkyMiles round trip.
To view all routes and pricing, head to this landing page on delta.com.
For flights within North America, Latin America and the Caribbean, you will notice that for certain destinations, the basic economy fare is lower than the Main Cabin fare. Among other limitations, Delta basic economy tickets do not allow changes or free seat selection. Likewise, you will generally board the plane last.
Of the domestic destinations, Miami and Portland, Maine, are the only two cities where the Main Cabin fare is priced the same as a Basic Economy fare.
I checked the travel dates of April 27-May 3 on the New York-LaGuardia (LGA) to Miami International Airport (MIA) route, and there were seats available for 5,000 SkyMiles on each of Delta’s flights on both days.
On this itinerary, as with all Delta award flights through the end of the year, you can earn Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQM), Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQD) and Medallion Qualifying Segments (MQS) on these discounted award flights. Note that you won’t earn elite qualifying metrics on basic economy award tickets.
Discounted flights to Europe are widely available. For example, here is the award calendar on Delta’s flight from New York (JFK) to Rome:
On this same route, cash prices are going for around $780-$820 round trip. So by using 34,000 SkyMiles, you get roughly 2.3 cents per SkyMile, which is significantly above our valuation of 1.41 cents per SkyMile.
Of course, this is just a sampling of the routes that Delta put on sale. Search Delta’s sale page to find pricing and dates for all of the discounted routes.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to pay award taxes with a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per dollar on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel), on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3 points per dollar on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3 points per dollar on airfare when booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per dollar on travel). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
From Europe to sunny Caribbean destinations, this latest promotion from Delta is highly appealing for SkyMiles members. This sale includes a variety of destinations you can travel to without having saved massive amounts of SkyMiles. If anything, sales like this one remind us that it’s always nice to have some SkyMiles ready to use, so you can land your next deal.
Featured photo by Elijah Nouvelage/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees