Delta Flyer Earns Overhead Bin Space With Inflight Violin Concert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there: You dash onto your flight just as the gate agent is ready to close the door. There’s a rush of relief until you remember that you still need to find overhead bin space. More panic, especially if you’re Giora Schmidt, an award-winning violinist, on a recent Delta flight to Cincinnati.
A graduate of the Juilliard School, Schmidt plays an 1803 Giuseppe Rocca violin. Instruments from this Italian maker can sell for more than $250,000. In an interview with Classic FM Schmidt said, “Rather than start negotiating with each passenger, I signaled to the flight attendant to see if she might be able to assist. I informed her that my violin was an Italian ‘antique’ that I used professionally and putting it [in the hold] was non-negotiable.”
Most of us would think telling a flight attendant that something was “non-negotiable” would lead to an abrupt end to our trip. But the Delta flight attendant took it all in stride, telling Schmidt that if he would put on a concert, she would find him space in the overhead bin. Schmidt agreed, assuming the flight attendant was joking. She wasn’t.
She immediately announced to the entire plane that they had a international concert violinist on the flight and asked if one or two passengers would be willing to move some of their overhead items to the space under the seat in front of them in exchange for an inflight concert. Passengers were more than willing to make space. It also turns out the FA was a classical music lover, which was good news for Schmidt. Other musicians haven’t been as lucky when it comes to flying with their prized instruments.
Delta Airlines told TPG via email “We were impressed and send our thanks to Giora for the impromptu concert. Delta is appreciative of the time he took to share his talents with fellow customers.”
A rep for Schmidt shared the following with TPG about the violinist’s experience: “This was an absolute first for me. I couldn’t believe how much the passengers appreciated it — filming on their phones, and with a huge round of applause at the end.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.