Delta Flyer Earns Overhead Bin Space With Inflight Violin Concert
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We’ve all been there: You dash onto your flight just as the gate agent is ready to close the door. There’s a rush of relief until you remember that you still need to find overhead bin space. More panic, especially if you’re Giora Schmidt, an award-winning violinist, on a recent Delta flight to Cincinnati.
A graduate of the Juilliard School, Schmidt plays an 1803 Giuseppe Rocca violin. Instruments from this Italian maker can sell for more than $250,000. In an interview with Classic FM Schmidt said, “Rather than start negotiating with each passenger, I signaled to the flight attendant to see if she might be able to assist. I informed her that my violin was an Italian ‘antique’ that I used professionally and putting it [in the hold] was non-negotiable.”
Most of us would think telling a flight attendant that something was “non-negotiable” would lead to an abrupt end to our trip. But the Delta flight attendant took it all in stride, telling Schmidt that if he would put on a concert, she would find him space in the overhead bin. Schmidt agreed, assuming the flight attendant was joking. She wasn’t.
She immediately announced to the entire plane that they had a international concert violinist on the flight and asked if one or two passengers would be willing to move some of their overhead items to the space under the seat in front of them in exchange for an inflight concert. Passengers were more than willing to make space. It also turns out the FA was a classical music lover, which was good news for Schmidt. Other musicians haven’t been as lucky when it comes to flying with their prized instruments.
Delta Airlines told TPG via email “We were impressed and send our thanks to Giora for the impromptu concert. Delta is appreciative of the time he took to share his talents with fellow customers.”
A rep for Schmidt shared the following with TPG about the violinist’s experience: “This was an absolute first for me. I couldn’t believe how much the passengers appreciated it — filming on their phones, and with a huge round of applause at the end.”
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Alberto Riva/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees