Delta Eliminates Mileage Upgrade Awards in the Americas
Delta Air Lines CEO Ed Bastian has made quite clear that he wants to give Delta passengers more ways to burn their miles. Except, as of this month, you now have one fewer method of burning. Quietly and without prior notice, Delta has officially killed Mileage Upgrade Awards on Delta-operated flights in the Americas.
Granted, Mileage Upgrade Awards weren’t exactly popular. Instructions on how to use them and details surrounding their application were hard to find, even from Delta itself. In a nutshell, MUAs allowed you to use miles to upgrade on most Delta-operated flights and on certain Virgin Atlantic-operated, Air France/KLM-operated and Aeromexico-operated flights.
In a nod to the halcyon days of fixed award charts that were published for the world to see circa 2015, Mileage Upgrade Awards could be redeemed for set mileage amounts according to area of travel, though they were only valid with certain fare classes. The convoluted part came from only being able to use this tool by calling in and speaking with a Delta phone reservations specialist. They would look at your itinerary, see what fare class you paid for and report back with a mileage amount needed to upgrade into first or business class.
Because of this, only the savviest of points and miles connoisseurs even knew that it was an option. Still, for those reading who considered themselves a part of that group, hearing news of this cancellation will no doubt conjure up feelings of sorrow.
In late 2018, Delta introduced a new (and very visible) way to upgrade from one cabin to another with SkyMiles. By simply logging in to your Delta.com account and visiting your list of upcoming trips, you could see offers on the sidebar to buy into a superior cabin via SkyMiles or cash. This functionality came to the app in early 2019. Evidently, Delta sees this as the de facto replacement for Mileage Upgrade Awards, offering us this statement following our inquiry.
“The introduction of post-purchase upgrades using miles via intuitive, self-service digital functionality has meant we’ve been able to vastly expand the availability of these upgrades to benefit more customers.”
Oddly, Mileage Upgrade Awards are still mentioned on Delta’s support pages, but as several TPG readers have discovered, reservation agents are now telling anyone who asks to use MUAs that their only option for upgrading with miles is to accept whatever offer shows up in their My Trips page. It appears that MUAs may still be available for Virgin Atlantic-operated, Air France/KLM-operated and Aeromexico-operated flights if you can find availability.
Given that Delta generally pegs the value of a single SkyMile to 1 cent when pricing those upgrades, this avenue is almost always a terrible use of your miles. We typically wait until we can exchange SkyMiles for an award that nets at least 2 to 3 cents per SkyMile (such as this business-class deal to the Maldives), and now that MUAs are gone in the Americas, so too is the chance to secure outsized value via this method.
This story has been amended to clarify that MUAs have been eliminated on Delta-operated flights in the Americas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees