This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta’s slashing the number of Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQM) you’ll earn on Aeromexico flights — one of its SkyTeam partners.
As of April 1, 2018, Delta is reducing the percentage of MQMs you’ll earn on Aeromexico flights when traveling on some business-class tickets — on a C, D or I ticket. On the partner award chart for Aeromexico, Delta’s current chart (prior to April 1, 2018) shows that you’ll earn 200% MQMs for business-class tickets:
However, as of April 1, 2018, that same award chart changes. For flights occurring on or after that date, you’ll earn just 150% MQMs for discounted business class — on a C, D or I ticket:
The good news is that nothing else is changing on April 1 other than those MQM earning rates. The number of miles you’ll earn will remain the same (200%), and the number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) you’ll earn will also remain the same (40% of the distance flown). Plus, if you’re traveling on a full-fare business-class ticket (J), you’ll still earn 200% MQMs.
Unfortunately, even if you had travel booked with Aeromexico prior to April 1, you’re still subject to the new MQM earning rates. While it won’t be a huge loss, it’s still frustrating for passengers who purchased a business-class ticket with SkyTeam partner Aeromexico thinking they’d earn a full 200% MQMs.
H/T: One Mile at a Time
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards