Delta finds itself in the middle of holiday havoc again with hundreds of flight cancellations
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Bad weather and staffing shortages have forced Delta Air Lines to cancel hundreds of flights on and before Christmas, The Washington Post reported. It’s an unfortunate repeat of the Thanksgiving holiday period, when Delta canceled approximately 500 flights.
The latest flurry of cancellations began on Wednesday, when Delta canceled hundreds of flights in anticipation of a winter storm that pummeled its hub in Minneapolis. The latest round of cancellations — about 100 flights on Christmas Day — is being attributed to pilot scarcity.
On social media, travelers described being bumped from multiple flights and lengthy, hours-long wait times for customer service.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Last month, Delta spokesperson Anthony Black told TPG a number of factors had “pressured [Delta’s] ability to timely staff several dozen scheduled flights. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.” He issued a similar response to The Washington Post in regards to the Christmastime cancellations.
In addition to having to rebook all those people whose flights were canceled due to the snowstorm in the Twin Cities that dumped nearly 9 inches at Minneapolis-St. Paul International (MSP), Delta has been dealing with the ongoing pilot shortage caused by the pandemic.
Delta Air Lines First Officer Chris Riggins told TPG in November that the airline is dealing with a shortage of pilots for certain types of aircraft, caused by cutbacks earlier in the year.
Riggins said there’s “a smaller pool of pilots qualified and ready to fly in the fleets that are seeing an increased demand over this holiday,” adding that, “.. cancellations would indicate that there aren’t enough crews available to cover all the demand.”
A scheduler with 20 years of experience also told TPG last month that scheduling problems are always an issue during the holidays. But added flights to accommodate the spike in demand — despite pleas from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for travelers to stay home — and COVID-19 restrictions, could all play a role in the cancellations, among other factors. After all, Delta has committed to keeping middle seats blocked through March 2021, meaning there are fewer seats for passengers on available aircraft.
Feature image of Delta jets in Minneapolis (Photo by Darren Murph / The Points Guy)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees