Delta CEO: Airline is considering seatback IFE on Boeing 717s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rumors have been flying around for months that Delta Air Lines is considering installing seatback screens on its fleet of Boeing 717s.
During the opening ceremonies for the airline’s new concourse at LaGuardia Airport on Tuesday, Delta CEO Ed Bastian said that it might well be true.
“We’re considering it,” Bastian said, when asked if the airline had any such plans.
Delta’s 717s are leased, as opposed to owned outright by the airline, but they should be flying for up to nine more years.
Next year, Delta will retire its MD-88s, and will phase out its MD-90s in 2022. That would leave the 717s as the only planes in the mainline Delta fleet without seatback IFE within a few years.
However, if Delta moves ahead with installing screens, it will become the only legacy carrier in the US with seatback IFE across its whole mainline fleet.
(JetBlue, of course, has had screens at every seat on the entire fleet since its inception, but it remains a secondary player compared to Delta, American and United.)
For passengers, that would mean a more consistent flying experience. Delta’s customers would know that any flight not operated by a regional affiliate would have the same entertainment options.
Delta has also been working on developing a wireless inflight entertainment system, which it introduced on its A220s. The airline has said the new screens will improve the IFE experience for all customers. It will also save the airline money: without all the wires, the system will weigh less than traditional seatback entertainment, which means planes that use it will require less fuel.
Featured photo by FG/Bauer-Griffin/GC Images.
This story has been updated to reflect that Delta introduced wireless IFE on its A220 fleet.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees