This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The partnership between Delta Air Lines and American Express is proving to be extremely profitable, at least for Delta’s bottom line.
Delta announced higher-than-expected earnings in its report for the first quarter of 2018 on Thursday, mostly due to revenue from passengers and its cargo operations. But, the carrier’s Amex partnership also helped its revenue numbers. With more than one million credit card accounts opened and $3 billion in revenue in 2017, the Delta Amex cards helped the airline boost earnings significantly.
Delta, the second-largest US airline, reported record-high revenues of $9.76 billion for the first quarter of 2018.
“The idea that selling miles to American Express contributes upwards of 35% of Delta’s earnings and closer to 50% for American Airlines – I think that’s a really misunderstood and underreported part of this industry,” Stifel Analyst Joseph Denardi told FOX Business.
Delta President Glen Hauenstein said Delta’s relationship with Amex “has been growing at a double-digit clip,” in the company’s earnings call.
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and discounted Delta Sky Club access.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles after you make $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 4 months. Offer expires on 9/19/2018.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees