Delta warns of possible operational disruption caused by omicron quarantine rules, asks CDC to change guidelines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines warned Tuesday of possible staffing shortages and “significant” operational disruptions due to the omicron variant, and more specifically, due to CDC guidelines that the airline characterized as unnecessary and burdensome.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
In a letter to CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky, Delta CEO Ed Bastian asked the CDC to shorten the time period for which those who test positive for COVID-19 must isolate, at least in the case of vaccinated people. Bastian, along with the airline’s chief health officer Dr. Harry Ting and medical advisor Dr. Carlos del Rio, asked the CDC to consider only requiring a five-day isolation period for vaccinated individuals.
The full letter can be viewed at the bottom of this story.
The current guideline requires all vaccinated and unvaccinated people who test positive for COVID-19 to isolate for ten days following the onset of symptoms, or, in the case of asymptomatic cases, the first positive test result.
“With the rapid spread of the Omicron variant, the 10-day isolation window for those who are fully vaccinated may significantly impact our workforce and operations,” the letter said. “Similar to healthcare, police, fire, and public transportation workforces, the Omicron surge may exacerbate shortages and create significant disruptions.”
“Further, all airline personal are required to mask at airports and on airplanes.”
The airline cited data suggesting that the omicron variant, which the CDC this week said makes up 73% of COVID-19 cases nationwide, has a shorter incubation period and infectious period among fully vaccinated people.
“Individuals would be able to end isolation with an appropriate testing protocol,” the letter said. “As part of this policy change, we would be interested to partner with CDC and collect empirical data.”
The letter did not cite specific data or studies.
Cases of COVID-19 have skyrocketed across the U.S. in recent weeks with both the delta and omicron variants spreading as we head into winter. Although the delta variant made up 99.5% of cases as recently as the end of November, the omicron variant has surged in recent weeks and now makes up 73% of U.S. cases, the CDC said Monday.
Featured photo by David Slotnick/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees