Delta accidentally gives some Diamond Medallion status and then takes it away
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This post was updated with a statement from Delta Air Lines.
Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.
There are multiple reports into The Points Guy from readers and from social media of members of Delta SkyMiles loyalty program being “accidentally” awarded Delta’s highest tier status Delta Diamond Medallion, and then having it taken away.
Some people who didn’t earn any status at all appear to be walking away with a pretty generous “I’m sorry” gift from Delta: entry-level Silver Medallion status.
Delta told TPG:
“Some folks received the wrong status letter. We quickly sent the correct letter with an apology. No accounts were changed in the entire process.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We first heard about the issue from a reader named Sarah who said she received an email from Delta that she had been awarded Diamond status, but when she went to login to her account, she only had Silver Medallion. When she wrote to Delta to complain, she was told “that was a mistake, and because the new 2020 Medallion Status awarded is already a complimentary tier upgrade from what you earned, we unfortunately will not be able to honor the email that was sent in mistake.”
Other users are reporting similar issues. Nikki Sunstrum tweeted that she’d been “teased” with Delta Diamond status before it was corrected to Silver.
A Twitter user called “64Webhead” said the same thing happened to him.
Delta is even apologizing to some users who complained on social media including Shannan Siemens who said in her case, she was awarded Platinum instead of Gold Medallion status.
Featured image from The Points Guy archive.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.