Delta accidentally gives some Diamond Medallion status and then takes it away
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This post was updated with a statement from Delta Air Lines.
Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.
There are multiple reports into The Points Guy from readers and from social media of members of Delta SkyMiles loyalty program being “accidentally” awarded Delta’s highest tier status Delta Diamond Medallion, and then having it taken away.
Some people who didn’t earn any status at all appear to be walking away with a pretty generous “I’m sorry” gift from Delta: entry-level Silver Medallion status.
Delta told TPG:
“Some folks received the wrong status letter. We quickly sent the correct letter with an apology. No accounts were changed in the entire process.”
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
We first heard about the issue from a reader named Sarah who said she received an email from Delta that she had been awarded Diamond status, but when she went to login to her account, she only had Silver Medallion. When she wrote to Delta to complain, she was told “that was a mistake, and because the new 2020 Medallion Status awarded is already a complimentary tier upgrade from what you earned, we unfortunately will not be able to honor the email that was sent in mistake.”
Other users are reporting similar issues. Nikki Sunstrum tweeted that she’d been “teased” with Delta Diamond status before it was corrected to Silver.
A Twitter user called “64Webhead” said the same thing happened to him.
Delta is even apologizing to some users who complained on social media including Shannan Siemens who said in her case, she was awarded Platinum instead of Gold Medallion status.
Featured image from The Points Guy archive.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees