I just saved around $800 on a flight to New Orleans for Jazz Fest
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Stop what you’re doing and book a flight to New Orleans. Right. Now.
We’re serious. Delta is having a sale on flights to the Big Easy during Jazz Fest weekend. I may be biased, but Jazz Fest is pretty much heaven on Earth. It’s a week filled with amazing music, incredible food and thousands upon thousands of people just celebrating life. If you haven’t been yet, you’re missing out, and if you have … well, you get it.
The official lineup was just announced and it is good. Think: Dead & Company, Maggie Rogers, The Who, Stevie Nicks, Lizzo, the Avett Brothers, the list goes on. And on.
Not surprisingly, flights usually climb into the $1,000 range, but we’re seeing some ridiculously cheap award flights during both weekends right now … as in 14,000 SkyMiles round-trip cheap.
In our book, that’s the equivalent of paying $168.
Take this flight from LGA–MSY, for example.
While it’s in basic economy with a short layover in Atlanta, you’ll get in with plenty of time to catch John Mayer jam out with Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann the following day. Just pay the rough equivalent of some Crawfish Monica in taxes and fees ($11.20) and you’re golden.
The same flight, if you paid in cash (on a credit card, naturally), is still only $255.
Again, still a very solid deal, especially considering how insanely expensive these flights can get.
If you’d rather pay for regular economy — we know ticket changes and seat selection are important — there are a bunch of options to play around with for a handful thousand more Delta SkyMiles.
I also checked a handful of other cities such as Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD) and Washington, D.C. (DCA), and flights hovered around the same range. No matter where you’re flying from, I’d be willing to bet that this deal won’t be around long.
If you are opting to pay in cash and save your SkyMiles, be sure to pay for your flight on a credit card that earns you bonus points on airfare. Our top picks are The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x points on flights booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x) and Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x).
Book sooner rather than later and laissez les bon temps rouler.
Featured image courtesy of Photo by Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic/Getty.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees