A dad dressed as an elf to greet his daughter at the airport — and it’s the best thing you’ll see today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are dad jokes, and then there’s this.
A Kansas man is going viral for this adorable homecoming greeting. On Dec. 16, Doug Payne greeted his daughter Courtney at Kansas City International Airport (MCI) — but it wasn’t your typical welcome home. He dressed up, head to toe, in a green elf costume, lights, a hat and even the signature “elf” shoes. Doug also held up a sign with Courtney’s name, suggesting she was on “Santa’s Naughty List.”
Doug has been dressing up to greet his daughter at the airport since she’s been flying back from graduate school in Portland, but this is arguably the most outrageous, not to mention charming, costume yet. Other signs included “Kardashian” and “KC Welcomes Miranda Lambert.”
A few weeks ago, over Thanksgiving, Doug held up a sign that said, “Welcome to KC Miss Oregon Courtney Payne.” He dressed in a flannel shirt, a la Paul Bunyan.
Courtney told USA Today, “This is just his personality,” adding that “Everybody sees what’s happening. We’re in the airport for about 20 minutes while he continues the show. He likes to hold up the sign.”
Understandably, Courtney’s reaction to the elf costume was hilarious and heartwarming. You can watch the full video here:
Courtney never expected the tweet to pick up as much interest as it did (more than 35,000 views and counting!). Since then, her story has been translated into various languages all over the world. She’s even received messages from children who grew up without fathers or lost theirs. We’re not crying, you’re crying.
She’ll graduate in June, so her upcoming spring break might just be the cherry on top of the cake. While Courtney is expecting that her dad will do something even more over the top, he won’t tell her what.
One thing’s for sure: If this elf costume was any indication, the next one will be even more of a hoot. We can’t wait to see what he comes up with next.
Featured image by Elva Etienne/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.