Coffee Devaluation Brewing: Final Day to Redeem Fixed 125 Starbucks Stars for Items
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s April 15 — tax day, a Monday, and also the end of an era at Starbucks (aka, a triple whammy). Today is the last day you can redeem Starbucks Stars for truly outsized value with all rewards costing a flat 125 Stars. Today, you can use 125 Stars for anything from a $2 Grande Dark Roast, to a $5 Fresh Super Greens Juice, a $8 Chicken Wrap Protein Box or a $9 Chicken and Quinoa Bowl all at the same rate.
But as of tomorrow, a tiered Starbucks award structure kicks in with the following prices:
- 25 Stars: Extra Espresso Shot, Dairy Substitute or Additional Flavor
- 50 Stars: Brewed Hot Coffee, Hot Tea or select Bakery Items
- 150 Stars: Handcrafted Drink, Hot Breakfast or Yogurt Parfaits
- 200 Stars: Lunch Sandwich, Protein Box or Salad
- 400 Stars: Select Merchandise or Packaged Coffee
On the positive side, beginning tomorrow, everyone can now earn and redeem Starbucks rewards, whereas, previously, only Gold members of Starbucks the rewards program could redeem Stars. As a refresher, you can earn two Starbucks Stars per dollar when you load a credit card or gift card into the Starbucks app, and you use it to pay for Starbucks menu items.
Also as of Tuesday, Stars earned by Starbucks Rewards Visa Credit and Prepaid members will also no longer expire for as long as the credit/prepaid card accounts stay open.
The April 16 Starbucks changes are a devaluation, but it is one that isn’t terrible across the board. If you like basic coffee and a simple pastry (raises hand), those things actually get significantly less expensive using Stars at just 50 per item, down from 125. Handcrafted drinks, breakfast sandwiches, etc. do get pricier, but not by a terrible margin at 150 Stars instead of 125. Those who like to redeem Stars for lunch items are the ones who are hit hardest by this change, so go ahead and use 125 Stars for a protein-filled lunch box today while you still can.
Also note that if you use Uber Eats to bring your Starbucks fix to you that no Stars can be earned or redeemed on those orders.
While you’re earning those Stars, don’t forget to use the best credit card for Starbucks purchases, like the Citi Prestige Card (5x points), American Express® Gold Card (4x points at restaurants) or Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x points).
Featured image by garett_mosher/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees