City Council Votes Against Bringing Fast-Food Chain Chick-fil-A to San Antonio Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Members of the San Antonio City Council voted against a proposal on Thursday to bring fast-food chain Chick-fil-A to San Antonio International Airport (SAT).
The decision to ban the popular restaurant came just days after ThinkProgress released a report highlighting The Chick-fil-A Foundation’s $1.8 million in contributions to organizations that are said to discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community. However, this isn’t the first time the chain has been in the spotlight for its political beliefs: In 2012, Chick-fil-A CEO Dan T. Cathy went on record opposing same-sex marriage.
The proposed Chick-fil-A was one of 10 new concessions planned for San Antonio International. The agreement between Chick-fil-A and the airport would have been for seven years. But the San Antonio City Council voted 6-4 (with one member abstaining) against the proposed Chick-fil-A, which essentially bans the fast-food chain from operating a restaurant at the airport for the time being.
San Antonio City Council member Roberto C. Treviño told the LGBTQ+ publication Out in SA that, “With this decision, the City Council reaffirmed the work our city has done to become a champion of equality and inclusion. San Antonio is a city full of compassion, and we don’t have room in our public facilities for a business with a legacy of anti-LGBTQ behavior.”
While this isn’t the first time the fast-food chain received flack because of its support for anti-LGBTQ+ organizations, Chick-fil-A told Out in SA that the restaurant, “would have liked to have had a dialogue with the city council before this decision was made.” The company went on to sat that, “We agree with Councilmember Treviño that everyone is and should feel welcome at Chick-fil-A. We plan to reach out to the city council to gain a better understanding of this decision.”
Chick-fil-A is relatively new to the airport concessions scene. Seven years ago, the restaurant was in just four airports across the United States. Now, the fast-food chain has more than 30 restaurants across 25 airports throughout North America. Because of the Chick-fil-A vacancy at San Antonio Airport, the concessions operator, Paradies, will look to other restaurant chains to fill the space.
TPG has reached out to the San Antonio City Council for additional comment and will update this post with amy response.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Jeffrey Greenberg/UIG/via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees