RIP: Citi removes most travel and shopping protections
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
If you’re a Citi cardholder, you’ve likely had September 22, 2019, marked on your calendar. And now, the date is finally here.
Citi announced positive changes today: the start of being able to transfer cash back earned on the Citi® Double Cash Card to ThankYou points at a $1 to 100 ThankYou points ratio. But, don’t let this positive announcement overshadow the negative changes: the loss of travel and shopping protections on most Citi cards.
Back when we first learned of the removal of shopping and travel protections, we compiled the following table showing which benefits would be removed on which cards:
|Benefit Removed||Citi Prestige® Card||Citi Premier® Card||Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®||Citi Dividend||Citi® Double Cash Card||American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card||AT&T Access
|Worldwide Car Rental Insurance||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Citi® Price Rewind||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|90 Day Return Protection||x||x||x||x||x||x||x|
|Trip Delay Protection||x||x||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Baggage Delay Protection||x||x||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Lost Baggage Protection||x||x||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service||x||x||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Travel & Emergency Assistance||x||x||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Damage & Theft Purchase Protection||x||x|
|Missed Event Ticket Protection||x||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card, Citi Prestige, Citi Dividend, AT&T Access, has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
So, it’s not surprising that when I log into my Citi Dividend account, I only see “Guide to Protection Benefits effective prior to 9/22/19” — there’s no current guide to benefits.
And, when I go to the Card Benefits FAQs page for my Citi Dividend, I see the following:
Likewise, when I log into my Citi Prestige account and download the new guide to benefits effective September 22, 2019, the table of contents is very short compared to the previous version:
In the Frequently Asked Questions section for my Citi Prestige Card, Citi provides the following answer to the “Why did Citi make these changes?” question:
Citi continuously evaluates our products to ensure that associated benefits best meet the needs of our customers. As such, we will no longer offer select protection benefits on your card so we can continue providing key benefits that our customers use and value most at no additional cost. As a cardmember, you will continue to receive a range of valuable card benefits including FICO Credit Score, Citi Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.
With Citi removing most travel and shopping protections from its cards, you may want a new go-to card for travel and shopping protections. Personally, I’m switching my travel spending to the Chase Sapphire Reserve and will use the IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card for purchases where I might want price protection, extended warranty protection or purchase protection.
Here are links to our guides to various types of protections, which we’ll soon be updating:
- Primary car rental coverage
- Trip cancellation and interruption protection
- Travel accident and emergency evacuation insurance
- Trip delay reimbursement
- Baggage delay reimbursement
- Price protection
- Extended warranty protection
- Purchase protection
However, you don’t necessarily need to use one of the best cards for travel protections when purchasing airfare in order to be protected. Instead, when purchasing airfare you could purchase travel insurance and then use a card like the Citi Prestige Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, which offers 5x earning on select airfare purchases but doesn’t offer travel protections.
How do these changes alter what card you’ll use for travel and shopping purchases?
Featured photo by Thomas Barwick/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
SIGN-UP BONUS: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on all travel and dining, $300 annual travel credit, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $900 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- $300 Annual Travel Credit as reimbursement for travel purchases charged to your card each account anniversary year. Through December 31, 2021, gas station & grocery store purchases will also count towards earning your Travel Credit
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $900 toward travel
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 50% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select and up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more