Citi Adds 48-Month Restriction to AAdvantage Credit Card Applications
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
In mid-June, Citi updated its offer terms on some applications for AAdvantage cards to extend the waiting period from once every 24 months to once every 48 months. So, whether you would face the 48-month language depended on which application link you used.
Now, Doctor of Credit reports that the issuer has added that 48-month language to the offer terms on all Citi AAdvantage credit card applications, including those here at The Points Guy and other outlets.
On the bright side, the restriction is now on each individual card, as opposed to the entire Citi AAdvantage card family, meaning you no longer need to wait between getting the bonus on the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® and Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ Mastercard®, for example. Additionally, now only getting a welcome bonus will reset the waiting period, as opposed to also when you close a card, which was the rule stated in the 24-month terms.
So far, only AAdvantage-branded Citi cards have the new 48-month requirement. Application links to all other Citi-issued cards like the Citi Premier℠ Card still show the 24-month restriction. However, it could be just a matter of time before all applications for Citi-issued cards get the new 48-month restriction so you might want to apply sooner rather than later if you’ve been considering getting a different Citi-issued card and it’s been more than 24 months since you got one (but less than 48 months).
As a reminder, American Airlines also offers co-branded AAdvantage cards issued by Barclays. Those operate under different rules so you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the credit card application restrictions of each issuer.
The information for the Citi Premier card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.