Citi Adds 48-Month Restriction to AAdvantage Credit Card Applications
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner
In mid-June, Citi updated its offer terms on some applications for AAdvantage cards to extend the waiting period from once every 24 months to once every 48 months. So, whether you would face the 48-month language depended on which application link you used.
Now, Doctor of Credit reports that the issuer has added that 48-month language to the offer terms on all Citi AAdvantage credit card applications, including those here at The Points Guy and other outlets.
On the bright side, the restriction is now on each individual card, as opposed to the entire Citi AAdvantage card family, meaning you no longer need to wait between getting the bonus on the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® and Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®, for example. Additionally, now only getting a welcome bonus will reset the waiting period, as opposed to also when you close a card, which was the rule stated in the 24-month terms. The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
So far, only AAdvantage-branded Citi cards have the new 48-month requirement. Application links to all other Citi-issued cards like the Citi Premier® Card still show the 24-month restriction. However, it could be just a matter of time before all applications for Citi-issued cards get the new 48-month restriction so you might want to apply sooner rather than later if you’ve been considering getting a different Citi-issued card and it’s been more than 24 months since you got one (but less than 48 months).
As a reminder, American Airlines also offers co-branded AAdvantage cards issued by Barclays. Those operate under different rules so you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the credit card application restrictions of each issuer.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees