This Chinese Resort Island Is Lifting Internet Censors for Tourists
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is only one place in China where your vacation Instagram posts will have a 100% shot of going through: the resort island of Hainan off the mainland’s southern coast.
In its effort to establish itself as a world-class tropical destination — what some have dubbed “China’s Hawaii” — the island’s provincial government is planning to allow foreign tourists to access internet sites that are otherwise restricted on the mainland.
According to the three-year launch plan, foreign visitors to Hainan will be able to fully access social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and YouTube, as well as other sites in the island’s two biggest cities of Haikou and Sanya. Full access to the sites will be allowed in “places where tourists gather,” the plan vaguely states.
China is well-known for restricting its citizens’ access to the internet. The government’s online censorship, or so-called “Great Firewall,” blocks full access to social networks, foreign media sites and even Google search results.
It isn’t clear if the plan has China’s national government’s approval yet. But, Chinese President Xi Jinping has been a part of the effort to draw global tourists to Hainan. Earlier this year, his administration granted an additional 33 countries visa-free access to the tropical destination, bringing the total number of nations who can visit the island visa-free to 59.
Featured image by Lucas Schifres/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.