This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is only one place in China where your vacation Instagram posts will have a 100% shot of going through: the resort island of Hainan off the mainland’s southern coast.
In its effort to establish itself as a world-class tropical destination — what some have dubbed “China’s Hawaii” — the island’s provincial government is planning to allow foreign tourists to access internet sites that are otherwise restricted on the mainland.
According to the three-year launch plan, foreign visitors to Hainan will be able to fully access social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and YouTube, as well as other sites in the island’s two biggest cities of Haikou and Sanya. Full access to the sites will be allowed in “places where tourists gather,” the plan vaguely states.
China is well-known for restricting its citizens’ access to the internet. The government’s online censorship, or so-called “Great Firewall,” blocks full access to social networks, foreign media sites and even Google search results.
It isn’t clear if the plan has China’s national government’s approval yet. But, Chinese President Xi Jinping has been a part of the effort to draw global tourists to Hainan. Earlier this year, his administration granted an additional 33 countries visa-free access to the tropical destination, bringing the total number of nations who can visit the island visa-free to 59.
Featured image by Lucas Schifres/Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that