This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There is only one place in China where your vacation Instagram posts will have a 100% shot of going through: the resort island of Hainan off the mainland’s southern coast.
In its effort to establish itself as a world-class tropical destination — what some have dubbed “China’s Hawaii” — the island’s provincial government is planning to allow foreign tourists to access internet sites that are otherwise restricted on the mainland.
According to the three-year launch plan, foreign visitors to Hainan will be able to fully access social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and YouTube, as well as other sites in the island’s two biggest cities of Haikou and Sanya. Full access to the sites will be allowed in “places where tourists gather,” the plan vaguely states.
China is well-known for restricting its citizens’ access to the internet. The government’s online censorship, or so-called “Great Firewall,” blocks full access to social networks, foreign media sites and even Google search results.
It isn’t clear if the plan has China’s national government’s approval yet. But, Chinese President Xi Jinping has been a part of the effort to draw global tourists to Hainan. Earlier this year, his administration granted an additional 33 countries visa-free access to the tropical destination, bringing the total number of nations who can visit the island visa-free to 59.
Featured image by Lucas Schifres/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees