China Southern Wants to Be the World’s Largest Airline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
China Southern Airlines, already China’s largest mainland carrier, is looking to move to the top spot in the world over the next three years. And in that attempt, the airline is not looking to join any of the major airline alliances. It recently left SkyTeam and has been rumored to be a candidate for OneWorld before 2021, according to a report by the South China Morning Post.
The airline is looking to build agreements with individual airlines, which will allow it much more flexibility in how the airline operates. Wu Guoxiang, senior vice president for International Corporate Relations, told SCMP, “I think it is important to build bilateral cooperation with every carrier that we want, for us to grow, we are the largest carrier in Asia.” Guoxiang went on to say, “In three to five years we will be the largest in the world. We need the flexibility to cooperate the way we want.”
After its departure from SkyTeam, it would seem the airline is looking to forge ahead with its plans to continue its growth, but on its own terms.
The aviation industry is seeing booming growth in Asia with no slow down in sight. By most metrics, including the ones that TPG uses to rank the largest airlines, American Airlines (which happens to own a 2.76% stake in China Southern) is currently the world’s largest airline. China Southern in currently ranked number six, but with the expected continued growth in air travel in Asia, the airline’s target of being the biggest in the world in the next three to five years is certainly not out of reach.
China Southern isn’t the only airline taking notice of the boom in travel in Asia. US-based carriers are looking to increase their presence in the region as well. Recently, American, Delta, Hawaiian and United all got tentative approval for slots at Tokyo-Haneda, giving passengers even more options for travel to and from Asia.
The growth in the region isn’t just limited to Japan. The new airport currently being built in Beijing is slated to open later in the year and will be the world’s largest single terminal airport.
Making the move to the top of the pack in size will give China Southern advantages in negotiations with other airlines as it looks to ink agreements outside of an alliance. It remains to be seen just how these agreements will benefit passengers, other than being able to book travel across multiple carriers more easily.
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.