China Revokes Licenses of Smoking Pilots Who Caused In-Flight Emergency
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Aviation officials in China have revoked the licenses of the pilots of an Air China 737 that had an emergency mid-flight due to the cockpit crew’s e-cigarette smoke.
The 737 made a rapid emergency descent, which caused a depressurization in the cabin and made the overhead oxygen masks fall, after one of the pilots accidentally turned off the aircraft air conditioner systems in an effort to contain the smoke from his e-cigarette. The aircraft is reported to have suddenly plunged 25,000 feet. Fortunately, none of the flight’s 153 passengers or nine crew where injured.
The lack of air conditioning triggered an alarm system that monitors oxygen on board and alerts the pilots to descend because they might have flown too high too quickly. Smoking on board commercial aircraft is illegal in China. Air China fired both of the pilots responsible.
In addition to revoking the pilots’ licenses, the Civil Aviation Administration of China has slashed Air China’s 737 flights by 10%, levied a fine of 50,000 yuan (about $7,376 USD) and has mandated the national flag carrier perform a three-month overhaul of its safety procedures.
The incident occurred on July 10 aboard flight CA106 from Hong Kong (HKG) to Dalian, China (DLC).
H/T: Today Online
Featured image by C. v. Grinsven/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees