31 states are now on Chicago’s travel advisory list
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are now 31 states and two territories on Chicago’s travel advisory, thanks to the addition of 12 new states on Tuesday due to rising COVID-19 cases as the delta variant continues to surge, the Chicago Tribune reported.
On Aug. 10, the Windy City added California, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Washington and Wisconsin, citing COVID-19 numbers not seen since April, including a daily average of 362 cases, up 44% from the previous week, and a 3.8% positivity rate, per Chicago’s COVID-19 dashboard data.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
“There are now 31 states and two territories on the City’s COVID Travel Advisory. These states all have surpassed the mark of 15 cases per day, per 100,000 residents,” the advisory read. “This is the first time since April 19 that the Travel Advisory has more states over the 15 cases/day/100k population than under. The U.S. average daily case rate per 100,000 residents is 25.4.”
Although the city’s travel advisory is no longer mandatory, incoming unvaccinated travelers from those states, plus 19 others on the city’s travel advisory list, including Arkansas, Florida, Missouri and Texas, are advised to take a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival in Chicago or self-quarantine for 10 days. The advisory does not apply testing or quarantine requirements to vaccinated individuals.
Keep in mind that Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport (ORD) is among the world’s busiest airports. It was ranked the world’s sixth busiest in 2018. It’s not yet clear if the news could have some travelers reconsidering flights through Chicago.
Related: 2020’s busiest airports
On July 16, the Chicago Department of Public Health announced testing requirements for unvaccinated visitors from neighboring states Missouri and Arkansas, rolling back their previous removal of travel restrictions in June due to a successful vaccination campaign and declining COVID-19 cases. But the continual spread of the delta variant throughout states led to Chicago reversing course and updating its list. In late July, city health officials recommended people go back to wear masks indoors, and Gov. JB Pritzker announced a statewide mask mandate for K-12 schools on Aug. 4.
“The city of Chicago passed our 200-cases-per-day mark and in line with CDC guidance and CDPH guidance, we have recommended that all city residents and anybody in Chicago over the age of 2 should be wearing a mask regardless of their vaccination status,” Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said on Aug. 1.
Despite growing concerns among city officials, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot allowed the 30th annual Lollapalooza music festival to occur as planned last month, which more than 385,000 people attended.
Featured photo of Lollapalooza at Grant Park in Chicago on July 30, 2021, by Gary Miller/FilmMagic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees