Heading to London? This Restaurant Lets You Be a Chef for the Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Have you ever had a meal so divine that you were left wondering what kind of magic was occurring in the kitchen when it was made? At Scully St James’s, a restaurant located near Piccadilly Circus in London, you can ruin the mystery. Every Tuesday, the restaurant brings two people into the kitchen to help prepare and cook. In return for the session, helpers get to enjoy a lunch on the house.
The chef behind it all, Ramael Scully, was born in Malaysia to a Chinese and Indian mother and an Irish and Malay father. He moved to Australia at age 8, and made his way to London in recent years. Without a doubt, Scully pulls influences from across the globe, crafting unparalleled dishes that have been praised by critics. (Before opening the restaurant, Scully served as head chef of the widely adored NOPI restaurant.)
Fiona Duncan of The Telegraph got to experience the inter-workings of Scully’s kitchen with her friend Henrietta, who discovered the opportunity. As an early customer of the restaurant, Henrietta was quick to applaud its culinary work, once even sending her compliments to Chef Scully himself while seated at the bar overlooking the kitchen. To that, he replied, “Come and join us.”
On their designated Tuesday, the two women spent four hours preparing food with chef Ramiro Gasparotto in the storerooms below the restaurant. While preparing meats, vegetables and sauces, the team of three covered the bases of food in conversation, talking about everything from logistics to philosophy. Scully’s philosophy on food? According to Gasparotto, it’s simple: “Tasty.”
Following the day’s work, helpers like Fiona and Henrietta get to indulge in the meals they helped to prepare. Their meal was four courses, including — but nowhere near limited to — puff beef tendons, chargrilled broccoli, forbidden rice, barbecued Galician octopus and beef short rib pastrami. All of that with a side of wine, plus the satisfaction of knowing that you took part in it? Count us in.
H/T: The Telegraph
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees