Chase Sapphire Preferred Card No Longer Offering an Authorized User Bonus
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve clicked onto an application page for the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card recently, you may have noticed that the line about 5,000 points for adding an authorized user was missing. Unfortunately, that wasn’t just a fluke: Chase has formally pulled this AU offer, so the most you’ll be able to earn from this card’s sign-up bonus is 50,000 points (after spending $4,000 in the first three months).
The loss of this opportunity to earn 5,000 Ultimate Rewards points shouldn’t dissuade you from applying if you were already interested in the Chase Sapphire Preferred, but considering that it’s free to add authorized users on this card — and that the AU simply had to make a purchase in the first three months to qualify for the bonus — this offer was an easy way to boost the value of the card’s sign-up bonus from $1,000 to $1,100 (based on our latest valuations).
The Sapphire Preferred isn’t the only Chase card to drop an authorized user bonus, either; the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited no longer come with any incentives for adding AUs. While it’s unclear whether authorized user bonuses are gone for good, the fact that they’ve been wiped from several Chase cards at the very least suggests they won’t be back anytime soon. That said, as of publish time, authorized user bonuses (after the AU makes a purchase in the first three months) are still available on the Chase-issued IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card and United Explorer Card, so co-brand cards appear to be in the clear for the time being.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.