This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s here! As promised during April’s slew of program announcements, the first credit card product of the Marriott/SPG merger is now available for new sign-ups.
Chase’s brand-new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card is similar to its predecessor, but now carries a $95 annual fee, up from $85. In exchange, you’ll receive the following benefits.
- Annual free night award (up to 35,000 points) after card renewal
- Automatic Silver elite status
- Earn Gold status after spending $35,000 (beginning in 2019)
- 15 elite night credits beginning in 2019 (limited to once per member, not once per card)
- Free in-room premium Wi-Fi (beginning in August)
The new card also offers a higher earning rate, jumping from 5x to 6x for Marriott and SPG hotel purchases, and from 1x to 2x for everything else.
Perhaps most notable is the mega sign-up bonus, though — for the time being, you can earn 100,000 bonus points after spending $5,000 in the first three months. That amounts to a whopping $900 value based on TPG’s valuations, which is pretty much unbeatable for a $95-fee card.
Note the following sign-up restriction, as per Chase:
The product is not available to either current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card, or previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.
Current cardholders should be able to upgrade to the new version now, and may be eligible for upgrade incentives, such as bonus Marriott Rewards points. I was targeted for 20,000 bonus points after my first purchase, for example. The business version of the card is considered to be a separate product entirely, so you may eligible for the new bonus if you don’t also have the consumer card.
Current SPG cardholders may be eligible to sign up for a new Chase account, too — for now, you can have this new Marriott Rewards card in addition to the the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, and if you don’t have the Amex cards, you can earn both welcome bonuses there in addition to the 100,000-point offer from Chase.
Here’s a breakdown of earnings with the new Chase card, along with Amex’s current and future offerings:
|Card||Annual Fee||Marriott Earn||Bonus Cat Earn||Everyday Earn|
|Marriott Rewards Premier Plus||$95||6x||N/A||2x|
|SPG Luxury Credit Card (Amex)||$450||6x||3x*||2x|
|SPG Consumer Credit Card||$95||6x (effective in August)||N/A||2x|
|SPG Business Credit Card||$95||6x (effective in August)||4x**||2x|
* Purchases at US restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines
** Purchases at US restaurants, US gas stations, US wireless phone services and US shipping
This table helps illustrate the differences between the old card and its replacement — you’re clearly getting a lot in exchange for that $10 boost in annual fee:
Overall, there’s no question that the new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card is a compelling addition to Marriott’s card portfolio. While I don’t expect it to last, the current sign-up bonus of 100,000 points after spending $5,000 in the first three months is a fantastic incentive as well — I’m recommending this card to my friends and family members who are eligible for the sign-up bonus, and if you can benefit from having a boost to your Marriott Rewards balance, I wouldn’t hesitate to pick it up, too.
Brand New Card! Earn up to 100,000 Marriott Rewards points when you spend $5,000 within the first 3 months - worth up to $900 in value based on our most recent valuations. On top of the sign-up bonus you'll earn 6x points at participating Marriott and Starwood properties and 2 points on everything else plus a free reward night (worth up to 35,000 points) every year after your account anniversary.
- Limited Time Offer! Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn 6 points per $1 spent at participating Marriott Rewards & SPG hotels.
- 2 points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year.
- Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- Coming in 2019, 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Rewards points and get Free Night Stays faster.