Rebooking got me $400 in hotel value — reader success story
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today I want to share a story from TPG reader Joseph, who made use of a relatively-unheralded credit card benefit:
I recently made a reservation for four nights at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel in Vancouver, and booked directly through the hotel with my American Express® Gold Card. A few weeks before the stay, I applied for the United Explorer Card, which I read gave me access to the Chase Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection (LHRC).
Upon checking, I found the same property and dates through LHRC for $50 less per night, plus a $100 food and beverage credit, a great room upgrade, early check-in and delicious daily breakfast buffet for me and my friend! I got over $400 in value simply by booking through Chase LHRC, which made the $95 annual fee on my Explorer card very worthwhile.
I advise other readers who hold eligible Chase cards to learn about LHR and leverage it on their next trip!
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Programs like the Chase Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection and Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts are the first place I look when I’m booking a hotel stay and not planning to use points. Standard benefits include early check-in, late check-out and upgrades (when available), complimentary Wi-Fi, daily breakfast and an amenity unique to each property (like a food and beverage credit, spa credit or private airport transfer). You may also receive perks like VIP guest status (which waives certain fees, allows you to skip lines, etc.) or a complimentary night on longer stays. As Joseph’s story shows, these perks can add a lot of value to a hotel booking, especially at properties that don’t offer their own loyalty rewards.
These programs aren’t always the best option, however. Joseph found a better rate through LHRC, but that won’t always be the case. Many hotels have best rate guarantees — Fairmont offers to beat competing rates by 10% — so even if you do find a lower price from Chase or Amex, do the math to make sure you’re not overpaying for the added perks. Furthermore, you won’t consistently earn points or elite credits when booking through a third party, and your existing elite benefits might not be honored, so weigh the value you stand to gain against what you stand to lose by not booking directly.
I love this story and I want to hear more like it! In appreciation for sharing this experience (and for allowing me to post it online), I’m sending Joseph a gift card to enjoy on future travels, and I’d like to do the same for you. Please email your own award travel success stories to firstname.lastname@example.org; be sure to include details about how you earned and redeemed your rewards, and put “Reader Success Story” in the subject line. Feel free to also submit your most woeful travel mistakes. If your story is published, we’ll send you a gift to jump-start your next adventure. Due to the volume of submissions, we can’t respond to each story individually, but we’ll be in touch if yours is selected.
Safe and happy travels to all, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Featured photo by Spencer Watson/Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees