CBS Puts World’s Longest Flight Back in the Spotlight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frequent flyers and aviation enthusiasts are probably well aware that the world’s longest flight — Singapore 21, from Newark (EWR) to Changi Airport (SIN) — relaunched in October of last year. Those less tuned into the magical world of air travel, however, may not have had the faintest idea — until a special CBS segment aired on Sunday.
CBS viewers got to experience the nearly 19-hour Singapore Airlines journey during this morning’s five-minute network TV segment, detailing everything from the onboard seating configuration — including the lack of a “regular” economy class — to healthier meals designed specifically for this flight.
Reporter Kris Van Cleave and producer Christina Ruffini were both onboard the same Singapore 21 inaugural I covered for TPG back on October 12, 2018 — and worked their butts off the entire 18 or so hours to capture this episode for CBS — so I’ve been eagerly awaiting today’s airing.
While I’m not in any hurry to join the world’s longest flight again — 18 hours is an awfully long time to spend on a single aircraft, even with a private lie-flat seat in business class — it was certainly a thrill to relive the experience on TV.
For more on the world’s longest flight, see:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.