Just Weeks After Launch, Cathay Pacific Takes the A350-1000 off the Washington Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a few weeks after launching its newest aircraft on its newest route, Cathay Pacific is switching things up. The new A350-1000, which operated on the longest route in Cathay’s network — between Washington, DC and Hong Kong — will soon be moving to operate a different route. Instead of offering the new plane from Washington- Dulles, it’ll turn instead to a city on the other side of the country: San Francisco.
As Airlineroute reports, Cathay will be moving its new A350-1000 to operate on the San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) route as of Nov. 1, 2018. At that point, the Washington, DC (IAD) to HKG route will be operated by the A350-900.
Cathay’s A350-1000 features three cabins: business, premium economy and economy. In the business-class cabin, you’ll find 46 seats in a 1-2-1 configuration. You can read a full review of the business-class experience on board the plane in JT Genter’s review. You’ll also find 32 premium economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration and 256 economy seats in a 3-3-3 layout.
How does that compare to the shorter -900? The -1000 offers a total of 54 additional seats over the -900, often referred to as A359, which also features a three-cabin configuration with business, premium economy and economy. There are 38 reverse-herringbone business seats, 28 premium economy seats and 214 economy seats, all in the same configuration as the larger airplane. Check out Zach Honig’s review of the business-class experience on the A359 here.
On Oct. 30, the IAD-HKG route is showing on the airline’s site as being operated by a A350-1000 — however, the next date of the flight on Nov. 2 shows it as operated by a A350-900. As you’d expect, the SFO-HKG is showing as being operated with an A350-1000 as of that date.
Cathay has ordered 20 A350-1000s and is expected to take delivery of them through 2018 and beyond. It currently flies 22 A350-900s, and has six more on order.
Featured image by JT Genter / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees