Cathay Pacific Ends Skirts-Only Rule for Female Flight Attendants
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Female Cathay Pacific flight attendants no longer have to don skirts for duty… starting three years from now.
The airline’s flight attendants association first challenged the airline’s 70-year-old regulation in 2014, complaining that the required skirts were too revealing when lifting passengers’ luggage into overhead bins or when commuting to the airport via public transportation.
“We welcome and appreciate the company’s decision on giving us an option in choosing uniforms,” the flight attendants’ union said in a statement. “It not only provides us one more option, but also provides us with protection.”
“Just as we recognize it is important to provide our customers with more choice, the same is also true for our colleagues,” said Ms Pauline Mak, Vice Chair of the Hong Kong Dragon Airlines’ Flight Attendants Association. Hong Kong Dragon Airlines is the parent brand of Cathay Pacific.
The update will take place during the next uniform refresh, which will not occur until three years from now.
Cathay Pacific is one of the later carriers to adopt a broader uniform policy for its flight attendants. United, American and Delta all allow female flight attendants the option of wearing pants while in uniform.
On the other end of the spectrum, Vietnam-based budget carrier VietJet sells a controversial calendar of bikini-clad flight attendants every year as part of its marketing strategy.
Featured photo by MIKE CLARKE/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees