Carnival will restart US cruises out of Texas in July
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is the kind of good news we love sharing: Carnival Cruise Line announced today that it’s restarting its U.S. cruise operations.
The line will return to the Port of Galveston on July 3. Carnival Vista will begin sailing first followed by Carnival Breeze on July 15. This signals the cruise line’s come back to U.S. cruising after a 15-month shutdown due to COVID-19 concerns and limits mandated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
For these itineraries, passengers must have received their final dose of a CDC-approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the cruise embarks. Passengers must have proof of that vaccination.
For more cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s new cruise newsletter.
In a statement, Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line, said, “We appreciate the progress and support for our U.S. restart from the CDC and other key federal agencies; however, the current CDC requirements for cruising with a guest base that is unvaccinated will make it very difficult to deliver the experience our guests expect, especially given the large number of families with younger children who sail with us. As a result, our alternative is to operate our ships from the U.S. during the month of July with vaccinated guests.”
Carnival is also hoping to restart cruises from PortMiami with Carnival Horizon. The cruise line is in talks with the State of Florida and the CDC. The line indicated it would make an announcement on Friday regarding protocols for those sailings.
Those are previously booked and scheduled voyages aboard the 3,960-passenger Carnival Horizon. The line hasn’t canceled them since it feels there’s a good chance it can come to an agreement with Florida and the CDC and make those vacations a reality.
The cruise line understands that passengers with previously booked cruises for later this summer are anxious to find out the plan for August sailings and hinted that an announcement with more details would happen in “the coming days.”
In related news, Royal Caribbean received approval from the CDC to conduct a “test cruise” with its 5,518-passenger Symphony of the Seas out of PortMiami on Aug. 1. If the sailing goes well, that will pave the way for other Royal Caribbean sailings in August with paying passengers.
Featured image by Andy Newman/Carnival Cruise Line
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees