CDC and State Department tell Americans to avoid travel to Canada as COVID-19 cases peak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
U.S. government officials are suggesting American travelers “avoid travel” to Canada this week due to the highest level of COVID-19 cases seen thus far, elevating previous warnings issued shortly after the Canadian border reopened to vaccinated Americans in August.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The CDC’s Level 4: Do Not Travel is a category for countries with an incidence rate of 500-plus new cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 residents over the past 28 days. Data from The New York Times currently shows a daily incidence rate exceeding 46,000 new cases. Daily totals from the World Health Organization recorded more than 250,000 cases for the first week of January, the highest number of recorded weekly or daily cases since January 2020.
New case trajectory is also a factor in determining CDC levels.
Since September, Ontario has required proof of vaccination to access certain indoor spaces, including restaurants and bars. In December, Canada asked all citizens to avoid nonessential travel outside of the country due to the omicron variant just one week ahead of Christmas.
Featured photo of a COVID-19 protest this week in Edmonton, Alberta, by Artur Widak/NurPhoto/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees