Traveling by Air Through Canada? Make Sure You Have the Proper Documentation

Jun 27, 2018

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

Don’t get denied from boarding your flight to Canada because you’re missing proper documentation. That’s what one TPG staffer’s spouse learned on a recent flight from Lyon (LYS) to Miami (MIA) via Montreal (YUL).

The traveler, whom we’ll call Jean, is a French citizen who is also a United States Green Card holder. Jean was booked on Air Canada’s nonstop flight between France and Canada, before continuing on to his final destination in Florida. When he was attempting to check-in at the airport in Lyon, the agent asked for his paperwork — his Electronic Travel Authorization, or eTA.

In 2016, Canada implemented its eTA policy, which is required for certain passengers in order to fly to or transit through Canada. So, even though Jean was only transiting through YUL on his way to the US, he was still required to obtain an eTA.

The eTA is defined as:

“An entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

An eTA doesn’t guarantee entry into Canada. When you arrive, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and other documents — for example, a US Green Card. You must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada.”

The Canadian government details who exactly is required to obtained an eTA when transiting through Canada. And, as one might expect from the story, France is listed as a visa-exempt country. And, Green Card holders do need to obtain one if they’re from one of the visa-exempt countries. You can find the full list of those who need an eTA here.

Note that an eTA isn’t required for all entry into Canada. It’s only required for those transiting to or through Canada when entering via air — not land (i.e. driving) or sea (i.e. cruise).

There are a few exemptions to who is required to obtain an eTA. Namely, US citizens aren’t required to get an eTA as long as you’re carrying proper identification, such as a valid US passport. You can find the full list of eTA exceptions here.

In order to get an eTA, you’ll need to fill out an application online, requiring basic information such as passport number, a credit or debit card and an email address. The application process takes a few minutes to complete, and most get their approved eTA within a few minutes. However, Canada warns that some eTA applications can take several days to process. In total, the eTA costs CAD 7 — about $5. If you know that you’ll need an eTA to transit to or through Canada, it’ll be best to apply sooner rather than later.

As for Jean, he was able to contact his spouse who was in the US. The TPG staffer was able to complete the application for him, and he was allowed to board his Air Canada business-class flight to YUL before ending up at his final destination in Miami.

Featured image by Jeff Greenberg / Getty Images.

Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card

WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points


CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners

*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.

Apply Now
More Things to Know
  • Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
  • Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
  • Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
  • With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
  • Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
Regular APR
16.24% - 23.24% Variable
Annual Fee
Balance Transfer Fee
Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
Recommended Credit

Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.

Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.