American Airlines’ Business Extra adds its third partner airline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines has not one but two loyalty programs.
Of course, most flyers are familiar with AAdvantage, the program that lets you earn and redeem miles for flights on American and its Oneworld partners.
However, there’s a second, lesser-known loyalty program designed for small- to medium-sized businesses called Business Extra. This program rewards employers for their employees’ travel in addition to any AAdvantage miles the employees earn.
Stay up-to-date on airline and aviation news by signing up for our brand-new aviation newsletter.
You can earn Business Extra points from flight activity, special offers or a dedicated corporate card. You can then redeem those points for award flights, upgrades, lounge passes and more.
However, unlike AAdvantage, Business Extra has historically had a much smaller list of airline partners. Previously, you could only earn points or redeem awards on American, British Airways or Iberia.
As of Sept. 9, American has added a third partner, Japan Airlines (JAL), that’ll open up a whole host of transpacific adventures.
Going forward, Business Extra members will be able to earn 1 point per $5 spent on most Japan Airlines flights (excluding domestic travel within Japan).
As part of the news, there are now some new partner awards for flights to and from Japan. You can use Business Extra points for domestic Japan flights as well as those from Japan to other points in Asia, Europe, North America and the South Pacific.
Rates are in line with the Anytime Business Extra awards for travel on American Airlines flights.
With coach tickets from the U.S. to Japan starting at 11,000 points, it’s not the best deal. But if your company has a surplus of points, it could make sense to redeem them for Japan Airlines flights. Even if you don’t end up redeeming with JAL, at least there’s another way to earn Business Extra points.
My all-time favorite redemption will likely always be the BXP1 — a one-segment upgrade within North America or flights from North America to Hawaii or the Caribbean for just 650 Business Extra points. Bumping from Flagship Business to First on the Airbus A321T for just 650 points is an incredible redemption.
Either way, JAL is a welcome addition to the growing list of Business Extra partners.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees