British Airways’ Travel Together Tickets can now be redeemed for solo travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Solo travelers rejoice: British Airways Travel Together Tickets can now be redeemed for a 50% discount on the Avios needed for a single passenger.
You can earn this valuable benefit if you’re a British Airways Visa Signature credit cardmember who spends $30,000 on the card in a calendar year.
It has traditionally allowed the cardmember to apply the voucher to a round-trip flight from the U.S. to anywhere British Airways flies and book two passengers traveling together while only paying the Avios required for one passenger. Fees, taxes and surcharges for both passengers are still payable — this caveat will not change.
While the voucher has helped traveling pairs save tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of Avios each year, it has previously only been beneficial for cardmembers traveling with someone else; this is because the Avios discount only applies to the second passenger. Solo travelers have long campaigned for the voucher to be used for cardmembers traveling alone. Chase has listened, and now the vouchers can be redeemed for either one or two travelers.
For context, a peak round-trip Club World (business-class) redemption from Los Angeles to London would usually cost 150,000 Avios. A solo traveler could use a Travel Together Ticket to cut the cost in half to 75,000 Avios round-trip (a saving of 75,000 Avios). That works out to be only 37,500 Avios each way for an over 10-hour flight in a lie-flat seat — that’s a great deal.
Note, however, that the amount of fees, taxes, and surcharges does not change. These costs are hefty — as usual for British Airways flights — at $1,984.57 for this redemption.
There are no changes to how redemptions for two passengers traveling together operate.
If you don’t currently have the card, you can apply today and earn 100,000 Avios after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Based on TPG’s valuations, that’s a haul worth $1,500 — and could be even more valuable if you can hit the $30,000 spending threshold to earn the Travel Together Ticket.
It’s great to see more options to redeem a Travel Together Ticket available to solo travelers. This new change to the British Airways Visa Signature credit card will mean great savings for solo travelers. Unfortunately, the frustrating sky-high fuel surcharges for all Avios redemptions on British Airways flights (including on Travel Together Ticket redemptions) remain for all passengers, though.
Featured photo by Ben Smithson/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees