British Airways Confirms Reduced Fees on Select Routes Between the UK and US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Award redemptions for flights between the United States and the United Kingdom are now a little cheaper thanks to one airline’s decision to reduce carrier-imposed fees on select routes.
A British Airways spokesperson has confirmed to TPG that the airline has reduced carrier-imposed fees (CIFs) on a number of routes between the US and the UK. Routes on which the reduced carrier-imposed fees apply will now incur fees of just $65 one-way, down from $175. Routes that do not feature the reduced carrier-imposed fees will continue to incur fees of $175.
Routes With Reduced Carrier-Imposed Fees
- Boston (BOS) — London (LHR)
- Los Angeles (LAX) — London (LHR)
- Miami (MIA) — London (LHR)
- Newark (EWR) — London (LHR)
- New York City (JFK) — London (LGW, LHR) [Excludes JFK-LCY]
- Orlando (MCO) — London (LGW)
- San Francisco (SFO) — London (LHR)
- San Jose, CA (SJC) — London (LHR)
- Seattle (SEA) — London (LHR)
Reduced carrier-imposed fees apply to both cash fares and award tickets, including those booked through partner airlines. With award tickets on select routes no longer incurring such high fees, economy award tickets make much more sense. For example, AAdvantage Mile SAAver award flights booked in economy from New York (JFK) to London-Heathrow (LHR) will incur a total of $98 in taxes and fees, down from $203.
It is unclear why British Airways made the decision to reduce carrier-imposed fees on select routes, but the move does allow British Airways to offer more competitive fares in select markets. Regardless of the reason, British Airways flights are now more attractive thanks to this latest move.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Image by Alberto Riva / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees