British Airways 747 to start new life as film set
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A retired British Airways 747 aircraft will set off for a new role as a film and TV set in Surrey, England today.
The aircraft will be handed over to Dunsfold Aerodrome near Cranleigh where it will be preserved as a commercial film set and training facility, according to British Airways.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
The plan is for the 747 to feature “more prominently in front of the camera” and be used as a mock-up for interior and exterior shots for TV and film.
The aircraft, registration G-CIVW and that TPG U.K. Director of Content Nicky Kelvin was lucky enough to photograph, will depart from Cardiff Airport at 1.30 p.m. as flight number BA1978E, landing at its new home at Dunsfold Aerodrome at 2.15 p.m.
It will keep its Chatham Dockyard livery and be stored in public view on the airfield — eventually, BA says that the aircraft will be opened up as an exhibition for visitors to experience up close the size and scale of the fondly named “Queen of the Skies”.
Jim McAllister, Chief Executive, Dunsfold Aerodrome, said: “The 747 is a unique and important piece of aviation history and we are excited to be taking delivery of this retired aircraft at Dunsfold Aerodrome.
“Whilst G-CIVW will no longer fly, the aircraft will be preserved and given a new lease of life in the world of TV and film, training and special events.”
The airfield, where “Top Gear” and scenes from “Mission: Impossible 7” have been filmed, is 13 miles from Gatwick Airport and is used for a variety of aircraft operations including flight testing, maintenance, repair, storage, hangarage and apron parking.
The 747 has earned its place on the big screen — after entering the British Airways fleet on 15 May 1998, it has operated 11,424 flights and flew 90,617 hours over 45 million miles.
Its last passenger flight was from Boston to Heathrow on 28 March 2020.
Featured photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees