Book Delta One Suites to India for 47,000 Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta announced its long awaited return to India last month, flying a Boeing 777-200LR from New York JFK to Mumbai (BOM) starting in December 2019.
Delta will operate a 777 that’s been retrofitted with the fantastic new Delta One Suite.
One Mile At A Time reports that when the flight was loaded into the schedule, it was not available to book through Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club, which is usually the best way to book award flights on Delta aircraft. Now, the flight’s available through Virgin, and there’s solid premium cabin award availability on the new route.
Another bonus: Virgin’s not charging fuel surcharges, so you’ll just be stuck paying the taxes, which come to about $42 on a round-trip itinerary.
Looking in March 2020, there’s saver availability at least once a week on the outbound (JFK –> BOM).
You’ll have even more options on the outbound (BOM –> JFK), with a few days available each week.
What makes this deal even sweeter is that both Citi and Amex are currently running bonuses when transferring points Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. You can earn a 30% bonus when transferring from either Citi ThankYou to American Express Membership Rewards.
With either program you’ll only need to transfer 47,000 points to get 61,000 Virgin miles (you’ll have some leftover since you can only transfer in increments of 1,000). For reference, you’d need to use at least 97,500 SkyMiles to book this flight through Delta, according to Award Wallet’s unofficial Delta award chart.
If you don’t currently have any Citi or Amex points, both of the bank’s rewards programs offer semi-frequent transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic, so it can be worth stocking up on points the next time one of these deals come around. Virgin Atlantic has a fantastic partner award chart, so if these flights aren’t your cup of tea, you have plenty of other low-cost options for business or first class flights.
The Citi Premier® Card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months of account opening. The ultra-premium Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in your first 6 months of Card Membership. If you want to avoid a high annual fee, the American Express® Gold Card will award 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees