Book Delta One Suites to India for 47,000 Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta announced its long awaited return to India last month, flying a Boeing 777-200LR from New York JFK to Mumbai (BOM) starting in December 2019.
Delta will operate a 777 that’s been retrofitted with the fantastic new Delta One Suite.
One Mile At A Time reports that when the flight was loaded into the schedule, it was not available to book through Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club, which is usually the best way to book award flights on Delta aircraft. Now, the flight’s available through Virgin, and there’s solid premium cabin award availability on the new route.
Another bonus: Virgin’s not charging fuel surcharges, so you’ll just be stuck paying the taxes, which come to about $42 on a round-trip itinerary.
Looking in March 2020, there’s saver availability at least once a week on the outbound (JFK –> BOM).
You’ll have even more options on the outbound (BOM –> JFK), with a few days available each week.
What makes this deal even sweeter is that both Citi and Amex are currently running bonuses when transferring points Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club. You can earn a 30% bonus when transferring from either Citi ThankYou to American Express Membership Rewards.
With either program you’ll only need to transfer 47,000 points to get 61,000 Virgin miles (you’ll have some leftover since you can only transfer in increments of 1,000). For reference, you’d need to use at least 97,500 SkyMiles to book this flight through Delta, according to Award Wallet’s unofficial Delta award chart.
If you don’t currently have any Citi or Amex points, both of the bank’s rewards programs offer semi-frequent transfer bonuses to Virgin Atlantic, so it can be worth stocking up on points the next time one of these deals come around. Virgin Atlantic has a fantastic partner award chart, so if these flights aren’t your cup of tea, you have plenty of other low-cost options for business or first class flights.
The Citi Premier® Card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. The ultra-premium Platinum Card® from American Express has a welcome bonus of 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases in your first six months of card membership. If you want to avoid a high annual fee, the American Express® Gold Card will award 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees