Boeing Delivers About Half As Many Jets Amid Ongoing 737 MAX Turmoil
With the 737 MAX still grounded worldwide, Boeing saw a sharp drop in deliveries last month compared to May 2018.
According to data on the company’s website, Boeing delivered just 30 planes overall last month, compared to 68 in the same period last year. Boeing’s 737s, which are largely recognized as the most popular passenger jet in the world, accounted for just eight of jetmaker’s deliveries last month, versus 47 in May 2018.
New 737 MAXes are still rolling off the production line, but since airlines are unable to use them in revenue service, the finished planes are being stored near Boeing’s assembly line facilities Washington. All of the 737s delivered last month were not MAXes, but rather NG variants.
MAX jets were grounded by regulators around the world earlier this year after two accidents involving the plane killed 346 people. Boeing has promised a fix to flight control software that is suspected of causing both crashes, but global regulators have yet to reach a consensus on when or exactly how to reintroduce the jet into service.
During American Airline’s annual shareholder meeting on Wednesday, Doug Parker, the company’s chief executive, said that he expects the plane will be cleared by the Federal Aviation Administration to come back into service sometime in August, but it will remain off the airline’s schedule until at least September because of the crew’s bidding schedule.
Featured image by Wan Quan/China Pictorial/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.