Boeing Pledges $100 Million for 737 MAX Victims’ Families
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Boeing is pledging to pay out $100 million over several years to aid families, municipalities and local organizations in affected by two deadly crashes of its 737 MAX aircraft.
The aerospace giant has been under intense scrutiny for months following the crashes, which happened about five months apart and left 346 dead. Now, as the company continues efforts to get MAXes re-certified for passenger service, it is also working to restore faith in communities most affected by the crashes.
Boeing said its funds would be put toward “education, hardship and living expenses for impacted families, community programs, and economic development in impacted communities.”
“We at Boeing are sorry for the tragic loss of lives in both of these accidents and these lives lost will continue to weigh heavily on our hearts and on our minds for years to come. The families and loved ones of those on board have our deepest sympathies, and we hope this initial outreach can help bring them comfort,” Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg said in a statement.
“We know every person who steps aboard one of our airplanes places their trust in us. We are focused on re-earning that trust and confidence from our customers and the flying public in the months ahead.”
Boeing is also encouraging employees to donate in support of the affected families and has pledged to match workers’ donations through the end of 2019.
While official investigations into the Lion Air and Ethiopian crashes are still underway, a flight control system known as MCAS is suspected of contributing to both disasters. Boeing has been working on a software fix to amend the system’s authority in controlling the airplane.
Featured photo by Wan Quan/China Pictorial/VCG via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.