15-Year-Old Steps Up to Help Blind and Deaf Man on Alaska Air
An inspiring Facebook post went viral on Wednesday when a blind and deaf passenger, Tim Cook, was assisted by a 15-year-old girl, Clara Daly, on an Alaska Air flight with service from Boston (BOS) to Portland (PDX).
Cook was traveling from Boston, where he was visiting his sister, home to Portland. His sister accompanied him at the gate, but he boarded the plane alone. Passengers soon realized that Cook was by himself on the flight.
Upon boarding, one man gave up his aisle seat so that Cook wouldn’t have to take the window. That passenger also helped Cook make his coffee.
After a bit, the flight attendants on the route decided to make an announcement over the PA to see if anyone on the flight knew sign language in order to better communicate with Cook. That’s when Daly, who was supposed to travel direct from Boston to her hometown, Los Angeles, but had to travel through Portland after the flight was canceled, first rang her flight attendant call button.
After studying ASL for about a year, she was confident enough to finger-spell to Cook so that he could feel the letters she communicated. Daly’s mom, Jane, later said that her daughter thought that the re-route was “meant to be… so she could be there to help Tim.”
Daly made a couple of trips to Cook’s seat to make sure that he was doing okay, and to see if he needed anything. In an interview with King 5 News, Daly shared what they talked about. “He was asking me why I was in Massachusetts, [we were] talking about my grandmother who I was visiting, he told me about his sister and his family out in Massachusetts,” Daly recalled. The two also talked about how Cook was a travel salesman before he became deaf and blind. He asked the names of the passengers around him.
Lynette Scribner, one of the many who witnessed the act of kindness, was so touched by the experience that she decided to post about it on Facebook. In Scribner’s post, she said that the experience reminded her, “that there are still good, good people who are willing to look out for each other.”
Alaska Air even covered the story on its blog. Alaska did not offer additional comment when TPG reached out.
Featured image courtesy of Alaska Air.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees